what to do with a burr

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I've got this to play with and presuming it Is a burr then what should I do with it, or does anyone want to do something for me with it?
ec4fd9ece58039da7b70e884d0fab576.jpg
quite large and goes round most of the tree

thanks

Denny 😊

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Make something big or sell that one and buy some burls that are smaller. The bigger they are the more they're worth. A nice couple of knife boxes or something.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
From my recent experience with a burl, it is horrible to work with by hand tools, its almost like a whole piece of knots. If you are using powertools I am sure you will be fine. Also another thing I was told, if you do something large like a bowl you will waste a lot (up to 90%) of the burl to achieve your goal where as spoons and knife scales and other items will not waste as much.

HTH

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I know nothing at all about carving etc, but when I looked large quality slabs where worth good money, especially birch, I suppose because the tree doesn't achieve much in the way of girth in comparison to other trees. Big pieces being good for big things, I suppose they would want it dried without cracks or faults with good patterning. On the one hand you could try selling it, but I suppose thinking a bit more you could just use it yourself now whilst green.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Humdrum is right = a bowl is no more than 15% of the block. This burl is Primo stuff.
Might be a plan to ration the thing, cut into smaller pieces BUT at the direction of the spoon/pen/knife scale people.
Cut it badly and nobody wants any of it. Talk it up with all of them first.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I was thinking I'd just make spoons , harvest the bark. I've got more uses for the wood but wouldn't want a huge burr like that to go to waste and I know I wouldn't make a very good job of it. hmm decisions decisions.

denny 😊

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think you can say they outgrow the tree..........

Euc_Top2.JPG

The trunk is top middle of pic, the rest is burr.
Whatever you decide I hope the wood gets used in a manner befitting its beauty.

Rob.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I think you can say they outgrow the tree..........

Euc_Top2.JPG

The trunk is top middle of pic, the rest is burr.
Whatever you decide I hope the wood gets used in a manner befitting its beauty.

Rob.

Just to give me an idea. Is that prime burr or patternless stuff Rob, and if so how much of it is patterned? It looks like there is the tree and the burr has two distinct areas, inner and outer, and the whole thing is debarked. The stain is very very dark on the photo.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
It is eucalyptus so the colour is as it is, though it may have gained deeper colouration over the 20 something years I have owned it. It is a horizontal slice thru' the whole tree and came from Australia.

Rob.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
One thing to consider if selling is the cost of royal mail postage. the burl is very dense. I cut a few pieces off a burl I had and anything over 1 1/2" thick was over 2 kilos and the postage 2nd class went from £4.89 to £13.75!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE