What to do with a beer keg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over here if we buy a keg for a party we have to leave a deposit. If that's the case there you might keep it to trade rather than leave the deposit. Or alternatively sell it if you don't hold keg parties and use the proceeds for new kit.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If Al it could be worth a little bit as scrap but I think in the UK most honest scrap dealers (yes, I made myself laugh at the use of honest with scrap dealers) will want to know how you came to have it. A big keg like that has a hefty deposit if for home use and will be counted as lost or stolen if from commercial. My advice is to use it in any one of the above ways (not a still in the UK for obvious legal reasons) and not weigh it in. Or if you do weigh it in make sure its at the place the pikeys take it (nearly put other in front of pikeys - wioth toungue in cheek - but didn't want to offend).

I'd definitely want to find a decent use for it. A smoker would seem to be a waste of the metal somehow as you can use a wooden barrel for that. Check if it is Al or steel before you work it though. Not all steels have magnetic check work though AFAIK.

Nice still that. You get owt good from it?? Got to be careful with stills. Me old great granny (or two greats I can't remember) made a decent wedge in prohibition America on hooch. Had the best clientele too, judges, chief of police and attorneys if the family stories are true. Money got spent years ago though. She was an old lady back then too. Secret drawer in some furniture for illegal takings too. All worked out in case of raid which wouldn't happen of course.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Get it cleaned, fill with beer!! buy cheap barby some good sausages and rolls ,drink beer eat rolls and sausages, sit in the garden beer in hand JOB DONE !!!

Jason

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Cheapest way to brew is with a malt extract based kit, eg Geordie Bitter, you can get that in Wilkinsons or Holland and Barratt for about £10 for a 40 pint kit, and this produces an acceptable (to me) beer. More discerning palates than mine might disagree, but if you go down the full mash route then the costs of equipment start racking up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Get it cleaned, fill with beer!! buy cheap barby some good sausages and rolls ,drink beer eat rolls and sausages, sit in the garden beer in hand JOB DONE !!!

Jason

That's the heart of my suggestion to just keep it. If you buy a keg of beer for a home party just sway the keg each time to avoid the deposit.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just got to be very carefull when you try to open them up as they may still be pressurised.

The one you have is 11 gallon stainless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE