What spirits for which fruit?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
going to make some fruits in spirits for xmas presents.

but what spirits goes best with what fruit?

I have a supply of rum, (a good generic) and brandy.

Stuff like port and sherry are not too pricey. (Im no drinker, but I keep a supply in, mostly for xmas cookery but it comes in handy at other times)

what do you think?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Bramble Whisky
Raspberry Whisky
Black Cherry Whisky (use dried black cherries)
Vodka and anything

Got some red current whisky on the go but have not tried it yet so cannot comment on if it works or not. I have also got some Spanish Brandy with Raspberry and Honey on the go but again it's not ready yet so I don't know if it works.

It might be a bit touch and go if you have left it too late for Christmas. I try to leave mine for a year or six months at the least.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
I once made a batch of Crab Apple Vodka...IIRC - 6 cups of crabs peeled, decored and frozen, then mashed, 6 cups of sugar, 26 oz of vodka. shaken and turned every week for 6 months, strained and direct into a flask.

Cheers,
D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Bramble brandy is gorgeous.
As someone above said, vodka goes with anything. So the trick is to find something surprising. I always find that sharp fruits work better (but then, I like the taste of tart fruits). If you can still find them, have a go at gooseberry vodka or rhubard vodka (my particular favourite). They'll have to be supermarket gooseberries or rhubard unfortunately (not tinned - that goes without saying). You might be lucky enough to find some in a farm shop somewhere.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
If you can get pure alcohol (90-98%) that would be the traditional thing to use over here. usually diluted a bit though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE