What sort of handle oil?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
mmm i like walnut oil which smells lovely is good in salads and a healthy alternative to butter on your toast, i sanded down most of my knife handles with 800 grit wet n dry then applied walnut oil just as an experiment and it worked well enough for me. and if anyone is having trouble with lids sticking on their danish oil containers then try rubbing a little petroleum jelly around the screw top and this shouldn't happen this also works on super glue tops and any glue tops really

I've done it with super glue lids but for some reason its never occurred to me to do the same with my Danish oil.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
I've read all your posts, and I think I'll go with danish oil. How much does it darken the wood?

A friend of mine is a woodturner, and he has a container of oil that he thinks might be danish, but isn't sure. Is there any way to tell if it's danish or not? Does it have a distinctive smell or something? Sorry for the weird question.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've read all your posts, and I think I'll go with danish oil. How much does it darken the wood?

A friend of mine is a woodturner, and he has a container of oil that he thinks might be danish, but isn't sure. Is there any way to tell if it's danish or not? Does it have a distinctive smell or something? Sorry for the weird question.

Don't know how to tell if it's danish or not. But you might just try a bit of it on a scrap of wood to see how you like it.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....gotta back southey up once again....i was advised on here to use linseed....its rubbish....i only tried it on one handle and as the man southey sad it hasnt sunk in....the cherry is patchy....however many times i soak it it just dries out.

then perrari advised me to try danish.....and it is totally superb.

mine does darken a little (rustins) so if you dont want that then follow hillbills advice and get the one he mentioned....i'm gonna get some too.

a

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Any liquid will darken wood slightly, but no more than a splash of water would with the stuff i use :)

hi....gotta back southey up once again....i was advised on here to use linseed....its rubbish....i only tried it on one handle and as the man southey sad it hasnt sunk in....the cherry is patchy....however many times i soak it it just dries out.

then perrari advised me to try danish.....and it is totally superb.

mine does darken a little (rustins) so if you dont want that then follow hillbills advice and get the one he mentioned....i'm gonna get some too.

a

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
...i was advised on here to use linseed....its rubbish....i only tried it on one handle and as the man southey sad it hasnt sunk in....the cherry is patchy....however many times i soak it it just dries out.

I think you're doing it wrong. You don't dunk or soak it, ya gotta rub it in with ya fingers for several minutes (until the oil has been absorbed) & the warm caresses help the oil penetrate better. Only a little oil at a time too, just enough to wet the wood.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
When i used linseed i use to warm it up slightly in a pan to thin it down. Penetrated better then. But i still find it gets too gunky compared to danish. Saying that, i only use boiled linseed now on my axe handles. :)

Last edited:

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
I sometimes use linseed oil and it works fine. It was being used to protect wood long before any new fangled chemicals become available :) The best method I find is to dilute the first couple of coats 50/50 with pure turpentine as this helps it penetrate better.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I sometimes use linseed oil and it works fine. It was being used to protect wood long before any new fangled chemicals become available :) The best method I find is to dilute the first couple of coats 50/50 with pure turpentine as this helps it penetrate better.

Exactly. Danish oil generally only penetrates better than raw linseed/tung or any drying oils because it has been thinned with white spirits.
Same with varnish or paint. Unless it penetrates adequately, it won't stay stuck.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...tried it all....been rubbed, buffed, soaked, wiped, left, re-done....over a week it mustve had so much on it that it shouldve worked at least to some degree....it hasnt....handle is awful.....but thats only part of it....it doesnt darken as such...more like the wood looks grubby....as marks since said below...'gunky'....yup that about sums it up.

danish however....perfect...absolutely totally and utterly perfect first time. in every way. no effort...no problem....beautiful to use....lovely finish....etc etc

I think you're doing it wrong. You don't dunk or soak it, ya gotta rub it in with ya fingers for several minutes (until the oil has been absorbed) & the warm caresses help the oil penetrate better. Only a little oil at a time too, just enough to wet the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE