What sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

goshow

Well i'm gobsmacked that nobody has suggested the british army arctic sleeping bag.

A great bag that will go down to -20c and has a central zip, so easy access when sleeping in your hammock.

I've used one of these for many years and swear by them. Combine it with a decent bivvi bag and you'll be right in any weather this country can throw at us.

If you get cold in one of these then you need to start questioning your skills. DO NOT substitute knowledge for kit.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Some people feel Snugpak temp ratings are over optimistic - but people vary very much in how much insulation they need. I don't think anyone would dispute that snugpak bags are extremely well made and mine has stood up well to hard use.

The warmth to pack size ratio is very good. I do not think that the Snugpak would be beaten by any other synthetic bag of similar pack size.

I have a Softie 6 - if the night time temps are below 5 degrees I tend to use my 58 pattern bag instead.

I have to agree. I have a bag branded as Mountain Craft. Found a label in it saying manufactured by Brett Harris, which turned out to be SnugPak, before they were Snugpak!!

Recently set fire to the compression bag so called them up to ask what my options were and not only did I find out that my model of bag is over 15 years old (they had to ask the MD as he was the only one who had been there long enough to identify it) and they they no longer make it, but when I sent it back to them they tested it and it has retained 95% of it original warmth rating. (I keep it in the airing cupboard, completely un-stuffed).

Let me finish this rant by saying that not only were SnugPak amazingly helpful for a bag they no longer make, but the bag itself is EXTREMELY well made! I was out Mid March this year. I have no idea what temperature it was, but I was warm in just boxers. My mate was in two two season bags and all his clothes!

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Check out the Wiggy if you can find them at the price you're willing to pay. Worth every penny. I've found a Wiggy for 80 eur (sold out, alas), it's the double bag and it's really comfortable and warm. The outer bag is an ideal spring/summer bag and coupled with the inner bag you'll have a hard time getting cold.

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
Been using a Nanok SF -10 for the last 2 years and its never let me down.
I've a multiple time that there was frost on the outside of my bivibag while I was nice and warm in only my boxers. Also there are 2 small pockets on the inside, really handy to store your torch or other small things.

Bas.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
the softie elite six the antartic version which supposedly goes to minus 50 is the one i would choose but its a snugpack and not everyone gets on with snugpacks but i lovve mine

I use an Elite 4 in winter with an underblanket, they take up most of my pack between them but I've never had a cold night.

I just wish Snugpak would sort out their carp zips, I'm forever snagging mine anyway. I know the trick it to run your finger along as you zip it up but sometimes I just forget :rolleyes:

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I have an issue arctic bag (new type) and although it is very bulky and quite heavy, it is very warm and cost about £20 on Evilbay. I spent a night testing it out on my patio when it snowed lots a few months ago, the temp was about -8 to -10 and quite windy- problem was it was too hot!
It should last a lifetime...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE