What sleeping bag you can connect to double?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Hi, me and my girlfriend would like to buy a two single sleeping bags which we could join together and have one double sized. Any advice where to look at? Thank you for replays.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Generally most "square" bags can be connected together, "mummy" bags however can not (in general), you could look at a double bag in the long run or a wide sleeping pod.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi, me and my girlfriend would like to buy a two single sleeping bags which we could join together and have one double sized. Any advice where to look at? Thank you for replays.

i think that some of the snugpack range of bags zip together to make a double

HTH

stuart

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Decent sleeping bags don't tend to join. I find it's better just to bring blankets and a couple of double duvets if my girlfriend is sleeping out with me. I put an airbed on two foam mats, put a blanket and a fitted sheet on top of the airbed and use two duvets. I put blankets close to hand just in case she starts bleating that it's cold or if she steals all the covers. Only good if you're doing softy stuff and are close to your car though.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Decent sleeping bags don't tend to join. I find it's better just to bring blankets and a couple of double duvets if my girlfriend is sleeping out with me. I put an airbed on two foam mats, put a blanket and a fitted sheet on top of the airbed and use two duvets. I put blankets close to hand just in case she starts bleating that it's cold or if she steals all the covers. Only good if you're doing softy stuff and are close to your car though.

Have to disagree here, we used to take duvets until we discovered our coleman hudson 235 comfort bags. Car camping only mind but they are luxury. Even when my wife was heavily pregnant the bag was so vast that when she rolled over she didnt disturb me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most Coleman square bags will join. I've used several through the years but never yet used one in a cold climate (well, not joined together anyway)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Have to disagree here, we used to take duvets until we discovered our coleman hudson 235 comfort bags. Car camping only mind but they are luxury. Even when my wife was heavily pregnant the bag was so vast that when she rolled over she didnt disturb me.

gemma and i take a feather duvet, a fleece blanket, and two thermarests. it's warmer, comfier, and packs pretty much the same for weight and bulk as two sleeping bags, only works in a tent mind, but then a tent is smaller and lighter for two people than tarps and bivis anyway. any option that lets me curl up around something soft warm and blonde works for me though :eek:

cheers

stuart

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
gemma and i take a feather duvet, a fleece blanket, and two thermarests. it's warmer, comfier, and packs pretty much the same for weight and bulk as two sleeping bags, only works in a tent mind, but then a tent is smaller and lighter for two people than tarps and bivis anyway. any option that lets me curl up around something soft warm and blonde works for me though :eek:

cheers

stuart

How do you know its warmer? We've never even met...let alone...well... :eek:

Seriously though, no one can nick the duvet in a massive double bag.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
We preparing to go on a 1500km hike. Starting in Paris and finishing somewhere around Santiago de compostela (Spain), planing to spend as many nights as possible somewhere not in a hostel or so. So duvets not really an option.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We preparing to go on a 1500km hike. Starting in Paris and finishing somewhere around Santiago de compostela (Spain), planing to spend as many nights as possible somewhere not in a hostel or so. So duvets not really an option.

Ah ok, most square sleeping bags will pack very bulky. Perhaps if you know the weather will be good pack 2 normal bags and a double liner. Then you can unzip the mummies to use as quilts over the double liner?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got a couple of Ajungilak bags that zip together but as Mountainm says you need to get a left and right bag.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah ok, most square sleeping bags will pack very bulky. Perhaps if you know the weather will be good pack 2 normal bags and a double liner. Then you can unzip the mummies to use as quilts over the double liner?

True, they're bulkier than a mummy bag of the same rating (and heavier) But that said, I've never foung them a problem. Rectangular bags were the only thing I ever used until I enlisted; and even then they're the only thing I've ever used apart from military surplus bags. That includes hiking in or canoeing with the Boy scouts or later into deer camps.

Remember too that if they're being zipped together and shared, then a lesser rating (and thus lighter and less bulky) as an unshared mummy bag.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got a couple of Ajungilak bags that zip together but as Mountainm says you need to get a left and right bag.

That's not been my experience. At least not with Coleman bags. They will all mate with any other Coleman bag as they unzip to open completely flat where one bag zips on top of the other. The ones that need left and right hand zips are the mummy bags that mate side bi side.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That's not been my experience. At least not with Coleman bags. They will all mate with any other Coleman bag as they unzip to open completely flat where one bag zips on top of the other. The ones that need left and right hand zips are the mummy bags that mate side bi side.

Not my ones, they have a pillow section which needs to go behind your head.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Yep....my Ajungilak bags are mummy bags, so as Mountainm says they need to be handed, i guess it wouldn't matter with traditional square bags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE