What size spacing for edge braiding?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hi

I'm making a hat atm and want to edge round the peak with braiding - probably a 4 strand
I'm going to make rectangular holes for the lace to go through
I'm using 1/8th inch 'roo leather (about 3mm wide) and the holes will be about 3.5mm - or that's what I'm hoping for once I've made the punch!
My question is what distance should the holes be apart centre to centre or edge to edge?
Is there a formula for the correct distance from the edge and spacing between them?
I've always done by eye before but would like to know if there's a proper formula

Cheers

Mark

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I use 3/32" lace (a little over 2mm) with a lacing chisel which has 3/32" teeth, set 3/32" apart. I use a mini flat screwdriver to punch single holes around corners etc, and keep the holes as tightly spaced as possible. So i would say you want to use a chisel shaped punch thats 3mm same as your lace, set 3mm between each hole.

Example for my lacing:

WP_000666 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dreadhead

No problem, I usually do around 4-5mm from the edge, though it really depends on the thickness of the leather item you are lacing. If it is thin, then the edge may curl if the lacing is too far from the edge if that makes sense, in which case I punch the holes closer to 3mm from the edge.

As with most things, best to practice on some scrap first to see how you get on

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Practice is the key I agree
The bit I'm doing is quite thick being 2 'roo pieces of leather with the plastic inner peak from a baseball cap to form the shape. I've changed the shape so it's not the large square style. It's probably 6mm or more thick
I was thinking 5-6mm from the edge so that sounds fine

the pattern you were using on those sheaths looks like the 'go through the slot to create a loop and then go through that loop and then onto the next slot'. Sorry I don't know what it's called but the same pattern was used by Iban tribesmen making chicken cages when we went to Borneo a few years ago. Only they were using the packing bands that hold pallets together split lengthways!

Dreadhead

Practice is the key I agree
The bit I'm doing is quite thick being 2 'roo pieces of leather with the plastic inner peak from a baseball cap to form the shape. I've changed the shape so it's not the large square style. It's probably 6mm or more thick
I was thinking 5-6mm from the edge so that sounds fine

the pattern you were using on those sheaths looks like the 'go through the slot to create a loop and then go through that loop and then onto the next slot'. Sorry I don't know what it's called but the same pattern was used by Iban tribesmen making chicken cages when we went to Borneo a few years ago. Only they were using the packing bands that hold pallets together split lengthways!

Yeah you should get on fine with that mate, are you punching round or rectangular holes? I prefer as small a hole as possible as it gives a nice neat edge, but if you loop through the same hole a few times then definitely need a rounder hole.

Yeah I think it is called the double-loop or mexican braid? I quite fancy trying a more intricate braid, but this one alone uses up so much lace and time per project it's not the most economical.

That sounds superb that it's used for chicken cages, I bet that was fascinating to see!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
fgabesz on british blades does the most amazing braid work I've seen:
21078485_9907060623fc5ee673937e381f0ddb26_l.jpg

18420821_41e2d03fa67772bbd3d9ae995fdf5953_l.jpg

Sooo neat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE