Sad day for me, therefore sad day for the world...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
What a disaster, Christmas is ruined...

Had to open one of those horrible plastic sealed things that new scissors come safely packaged in...(the ones you need scissors to open!!)...Went to the drawer to pull out my trusty Schrader SCHF25 and shock horror, the blade has self destructed... its split itself! From the cutting edge into the blade about 5mm, then it runs along about an inch along the blade!

Oh the misery!

Barely used it in anger either!! Swine!!

Should have asked the seller on here for warranty!! (Joke)

Bet yeh, how sad!

Edit: should add I'm not totally traumatised... and whilst I'm surprised and "how annoying" about it, I'm also purposely making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Hope you've all had a wonderful day and are keeping fed and warm and enjoying family and friends...(or not, if avoiding them is your thing :lmao: )

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
What a disaster, Christmas is ruined...

Had to open one of those horrible plastic sealed things that new scissors come safely packaged in...(the ones you need scissors to open!!)...Went to the drawer to pull out my trusty Schrader SCHF25 and shock horror, the blade has self destructed... its split itself! From the cutting edge into the blade about 5mm, then it runs along about an inch along the blade!

Oh the misery!

Barely used it in anger either!! Swine!!

Should have asked the seller on here for warranty!!

Bet yeh, how sad!
What, that sounds strange, would like to see a picture

Reactions: Toddy

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would send the maker an email with photo of the damage and ask for a new one. It doesn't matter that it's bought second hand. It's a production fault.

They surely will send you a new one without any further questions.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hey all,
Sorry for the no responses, I've been in Vietnam/S.E.A since December so haven't had the knife and been off social media/forums.
It did indeed happen in the drawer, the knife itself was second hand and was to the naked eye, tip top when I received it, I'd had it since July too. In all honesty I've not looked at it since I'm back, but will go and fish it out and take some pics now.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
That’s a stress fracture, poor heat treat is the likely cause.

It would be worth sending that picture to Schrade, they offer a lifetime warranty for defects in materials.

That should be an easy warranty claim. It looks like a heat treat defect or stress fracture which should be an easy one for Shrade to replace.

I'm not sure what part of the world you are in so, that may complicate things a little if you are overseas. In the EU/UK, it shouldn't be too hard to honor a warranty claim though.

Not too sure about Asia though. Unfortunately, Shrade and a lot of slip-joint makers of the past have been bought out and have their production moved to various parts of Asia with lesser quality.

My older Shrade lockbacks are definitely a lot better than the current ones which I think are made by Taylor Cutlery today. Taylor Cutlery, and the brand names they bought, might as well be pot metal junk from Pakistan or India IMHO.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm in the UK, I just used an instruction manual for something as a background so the white showed through, happened to be on a Chinese (?) writing page.

I don't have any proof of purchase as I bought it second hand though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE