What should a beginner's leatherworking tool kit contain ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Gentlemen, I am brand new to this forum, however, I have been working leather for over 40 years. I am a retired law enforcement officer (Deputy Sheriff) from the desert area of California, USA, and run a very small business making pistol holsters and items for shooting sports such as trap and skeet. I concur with Black Sheep's list for a basic tool kit but with the addition of some sort of burnishing tool. These can be made from almost anything smooth; from deer antler to a piece of hardwood. With the tools listed I make items such as the the following: Mike

003-5.jpg

003-8.jpg

Nice work mike.

As you say a burnishing tool would be useful and also missed off my list, I use a long tine from a deer antler or the handle of my scalpel but any smooth object will do.

Richard

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
With the nights fair dra'n in, long evenings to fill, and the recent rescue of a pair of battered old Chinese rigger's boots, this is a bump.
I'm tempted to make a solo break for one of the websites: should I be patient?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you haven’t got anyone to show you how to stitch leather then the advice in 'The art of hand sewing leather' by Al Stohlman is very good (recommended to me on the forum by Rancid Badger).

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you haven’t got anyone to show you how to stitch leather then the advice in 'The art of hand sewing leather' by Al Stohlman is very good (recommended to me on the forum by Rancid Badger).

His tool suggestions tie in closely with those posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE