What shape handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I made this knife and decided to leave the handle boxy and square, but I wonder if it would be better more rounded, so I thought I would ask and see what you people think. :confused:

boxelderburr.jpg

boxelderburr004.jpg

www.msknives.net

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I like it, as long as its round in the right places <not going to cause blisters through use> it looks a bit different.

Is that a burl of a wood for the handle? it looks gorgeous! :eek: :You_Rock_

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's one of those personal preference things... I'd want it more rounded, but then it's not my knife.

Looks really spiffy though! :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
holy cow, that handle material, whatever it may be, is awesome! :eek:
Personally, I like handles with that profile, but I prefer them to have a fatter palm swell and to be more rounded...
It's really up to you, if it's comfortable for you then it doesn't matter what other folks think ;)

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
ArkAngel said:
I like it, as long as its round in the right places <not going to cause blisters through use> it looks a bit different.

Is that a burl of a wood for the handle? it looks gorgeous! :eek: :You_Rock_

I've rounded it so it feels comfortable, and I bought it as Dyed Box Elder Burr, But I'm so tempted to take it back to the sander and round it off :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, take some more off Mick, it does look a bit "slabby" and that wood needs a more organic line. Lovely wood and lovely work BTW but I know where you are coming from

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oooh interesting.....price?

Don't mank it though Mick....it'd be a shame to ruin that wood..one slip of the sander and its hours of work gone....so....basically...no pressure :D

Red

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
British Red said:
Oooh interesting.....price?

Don't mank it though Mick....it'd be a shame to ruin that wood..one slip of the sander and its hours of work gone....so....basically...no pressure :D

Red

I know what you mean, :eek: Some off the BB members didn't like the wood although more did, but I will take it steady :p

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
ArkAngel said:
VERY interesting....

I'd consider e-baying me WS woodie for that......and i don't say that for ANY knife!

Cheers for the comment thats one of the things that help to make being a fulltime maker worthwhile :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No competition, definitely rounded more :) There are some things that are alright with a square-er handle, but making feather sticks will show that a slab sided knife, even with the corners rounded, will still bite uncomfortably all too quickly.

Just make it like the others on your site! They look great with curvy hanldes :D

Very nice work! The wood really is different. I have some boxelder that is dyed to look like buckeye, but it doesn't match up to that stuff!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
You're very welcome mate,

Someone else on here today was saying there are no custom knife makers in the UK except Alan Wood (The "end of the AW Woodlore" thread). He was pointed in yours and Shings direction by myself.

I've had a look round your site and i have been very impresed by your work. In the not too distant future i will be looking for a second knife or replacement for the WS Woodlore (everyones got 'em common as muck :D ) and will be looking for something a bit special.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
ArkAngel said:
You're very welcome mate,

Someone else on here today was saying there are no custom knife makers in the UK except Alan Wood (The "end of the AW Woodlore" thread). He was pointed in yours and Shings direction by myself.

I've had a look round your site and i have been very impresed by your work. In the not too distant future i will be looking for a second knife or replacement for the WS Woodlore (everyones got 'em common as muck :D ) and will be looking for something a bit special.

Thanks for your nice comments :D I try my best with all my knives although There are some very good knife makers out there, and some with a lot of knowledge, and sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time, to be able to get on, I've made knives all my working life at least part time I'm now 59 and when I decided to start using the webb, Ebay and all that I found it difficult to push my self with adverts, sounded like I was blowing my own trumpet I just wasn't brought up to do that, my Father used to say self praise is no recommendation, and he was very clever could make anything, I would like to just work away in my shop and the orders come in but it don't happen like that, so you have to try hard and don't give up on producing a quality item, :eek: Now I've bored you all I'll finish :D

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi mick fantastic looking knife. there is nothing wrong with trying new shapes trying something different is a good thing there will be a shape out there that every one wants it is just finding it mabe not this one or the next but one day. all your knives are different and i think this is better i think if there were 50 people with a rm knife and one with your knife they would want yours because it is different and one of a kind . your work is top doller tilly

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
mick spain said:
I made this knife and decided to leave the handle boxy and square, but I wonder if it would be better more rounded, so I thought I would ask and see what you people think. :confused:

boxelderburr.jpg

boxelderburr004.jpg

www.msknives.net

I rounded it off :D come out ok and I am glad now, thanks for all your help in making my mind up :)

boxelderburr008.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mick

Yummy, can you shoot some more shots with it laid flat please (just so I can perve - I'm not into another knife - not even for less that £200 which your website says this is....which is a steal.....anyway a certain Serbian will remove me nadgers if I "bump" the knife he is making....and I must resissssst)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE