What Rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Im planning a trip to Scotland in the summer. I would like to go away for a week and take with me all the food i need plus sleeping bag system, tarp, spare clothing etc. In your experience what size of rucksack do you think i will need? What Litre capacity would be best? And also, how much would a weeks worth of kit weigh aproximately?

I also wondered what brands of rucksack were best? Thank you for all the help! I havn't been away on a trip like this before so i dont have much experience...

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For a full weeks tramping I'd have to take my 75L.

Karrimor Sabre for me but there's plenty of alternatives about.

Are you a ground dweller or a hanger ? I find that makes a difference to the amount of kit I have to carry. Summer nights out I can get away with a 35 or 45L pack but I think I'd be struggling for a full week. If you can pick up supplies on the way then that helps a lot.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
That's extremely variable I think. How much do you take for a week-end out? What kind of food do you plan to take?

I did 6 days in Dartmoor in summer with 30L/20 pounds and no supply pick up. Ultralight hikers could do with even less. But at some point food becomes incompressible.

75L, 120L that sounds huge to me. I could not carry the weight I think! 45L would seem a reasonable compromise.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It also depends where in Scotland - on the West you will need midge defence and are more likely to need rain gear, Cairngorms - a warm sleeping bag but less other stuff.

This is a how long is a piece of string Q and you need to sit down with those who have done it.

Last edited:

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
It depends on what type of gear you are carrying...when going UL you can just take a 40 litre rucsack like a Lowe Alpine Crag Attack but for heavier larger gear I'd go for a 70L Rucsack!

C

Craghopper

I'd use my Berhaus C7 65ltr for a weeks trip, most comfortable large rucksack I've ever used. Got mine from Field & Trek about a year ago, cost me about £100. Shoulder straps are very comfy and the lower back support plate moves with your pelvis/hips movement as you walk (Bioflex I think it's called) so you almost don't realise your carrying a rucksack lols.

I've heard good things about the Sabre & Terra Nova ranges too. I bought a Sabre 45 ltr for long weekends but find the waist strap is too high up on my body (I'm about 6 foot) so its useless for carrying loads :( Don't think you'll have the same problem with larger volume Sabres though.

Good luck!

CH

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It also depends where in Scotland - on the West you will need midge defence and are more likely to need rain gear, Cairngorms - a warm sleeping bag but less other stuff.

This is a how long is a piece of string Q and you need to sit down with those who have done it.

You will need midgie defence and rain gear no matter where you go. OK, if you're very, very lucky, you might not, but you'd be mad to neglect either.

The biggest issue is food - all your other gear remains basically the same no matter how long you're out, but the difference between seven days' worth of standard ratpacks and seven days worth of ultralight dehydrated rations is probably about 7 kilos of weight and 15-20 litres of space. Maybe more.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I tend to use either the sabre 45 for summer treks and the 60-100 for winter, due to the fact of the larger sleeping bag for colder nights.

For a week I would say 40lbs in weight should cover it, but thats not with all your water needs. For that I carry between, 2-3 litres for starters depending on where I go, water weighs about 1 kilo per litre so you can't carry to much. For the filter I use a premac.

As backup foods I carry porridge oats and rice as they are the most versatile foods I find.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I walked the Cumbria way (5 days ish) the other summer and I used a 50L pack. I was carrying tent, most of the weeks food and a days water. Did me fine.

As for brands, I'm a Lowe Alpine kinda guy!

Jay

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Sorry if the question seeed a bit 'open' and like 'how long is a piece of string', but i have to start somewhere... like i said i havn't done this kind of thing before.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I'd be taking foods such as Rice, noodles, oats and all the extras to go with them. I totally hate having a heavy bag on my back so i want to go as light as possible!

Im planning to go to the west coast, what mosquito protection should i take? The basic head net and a large net to go over my sleeping bag?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
You will need midgie defence and rain gear no matter where you go. OK, if you're very, very lucky, you might not, but you'd be mad to neglect either.

It is possible to get away from midges on high ridges in the Gorms, but I was off the mark. Clearer post here.

I do have to re-itterate the PLCE thing - I'm 5ft 9 and my back ached from 3 days with PLCE, it seemed to compress my spine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I do have to re-itterate the PLCE thing - I'm 5ft 9 and my back ached from 3 days with PLCE, it seemed to compress my spine.

I did a survival course about six years ago and carried a PLCE over 40k that weekend, never again. I got rid after that trip and changed to a Vulcan, same again so I swapped to a Sabre and have not looked back. I know there's some really nice top end bags out there but I'm happy with the Sabre for now.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Im planning to go to the west coast, what mosquito protection should i take? The basic head net and a large net to go over my sleeping bag?

....and the lightest gloves you can find, a long sleeved t-shirt and a pair of baggy breeks with laces at the ankles.
...or run a search for midgies on the forum. Different folk take different measures and midgie threads are usually a laugh.:D

Rucksack-wise I'd vote for 65lish.
As has been mentioned - try some on first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE