What Rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

I seem to be going around in circles trying to decide what rucksack to buy. :banghead:

I've come to the conclusion that I need to try them on.

That said I need to find a shop which has in stock all/some of these:-

Berghaus Vulcan Cyclops
Berghaus Atlas Cyclops
Highlander 88 and 99
and a few different Karrimor Sabres

What are the chances of finding a shop that stocks these I wonder??
Any clues people?

I live near Hindhead in Hampshire.
I'm thinking I'll probably have to go to a large stockist in London??
If it helps me make a good educated decision, I don't mind

Thanks for any help :beerchug:
GDB

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
London town will be your best bet, but the like's of the BH vulcan are hard to track down, not seen one in a shop for a long time.
In essence you'll need a weekend to trot about the big smoke and visit all the stores, maybe after ordering the hardest to find one of the internet with the possiblity that you'll end up sending it back :banghead:
If you need a guide than drop me a p.m :beerchug: and i'll clear a weekend. Problem being with this plan of attack is that your more than likely end up adding a few more to the possible's list :yikes: :D

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Hi again GDB,

As you're at Hindhead, how about having a trip over to Camberley?

HM Supplies on the A30 at Camberley stock the full range of Highlander packs, up to and including the Forces 99. They also stock a good number of the Karrimor range, including the Karrimor SF "military" range, along with some other makes. They do loads of outdoors type stuff. They're also happy to do in-house modifications to kit and clothing too if you want.

I've used them a lot and always been very pleased with their workmanship.

They're on the service road that runs parallel with the A30, opposite the Royal Military Academy - if you're lucky you can even park outside!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Karrimor Sabre 75 gets my vote every time now... I got one not too long ago and it's simply stunning. Once you get it all adjusted (there are straps everywhere!) it's the comfiest pack I have ever carried and has loads of useful storage places.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
GDB,

Sorry for not replying before mate, I have a Vulcan, had it about 11 years with no problems. The waist belt sits comfortably on your hips and is well padded, also has a chest strap. I've carried a serious amount of weight in it (needed help to stand up :eek: ) If you want to look at one, places like Silvermans in London stock the Berghaus and the Forces bags if you want to try them on and compare them, personally I would not buy without trying them on and seeing which is best for you mate ;)

Just my 2 pence mate

Brian

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
GDB,

You haven't said what you'd be using it for, how far you intend to drag your kit and how often you're going to use it. This might affect what you go for I would suggest.

I've got a Sabre 75 which is a serious bit of kit, and should last for years, but I only use it on excursions over 3 days. I wouldn't use it for hiking for any distance 'cos it's quite heavy. Not cheap either which is yet another consideration.

Pablo.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Sorry the rucksack is for carrying most of my kit over longish distances in maybe hilly terrain.

It needs to be big to handle my 3kg three man Coleman Avior x3 tent, 2 kg nanok -10, 1 kg airic sleepmat as well as clothes, water, food, billie cans, granny b Wildlife axe, jack daniels etc etc. I reckon I may need to carry up to 20 kg, but prefereably 15kg!

I'm not keen on tying stuff to the outside of the rucksack and want it all inside if possible. I'm favouring the Vulcan rucksacks as opposed to Sabre as they are a lot lighter and a bit cheaper

I think I will visit some of the shops you've suggested over the next week or so and try some of these out.

If anyone knows of any other outlets which stock these, in Surrey / Hants areas please advise

Cheers
GDB

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
Hi,

First of all, let me start by saying that I’m a member since February 2007 but this is only my second "contribution" to this forum. :(
So in the upcoming days or so I will post a message in the introduction area which I think is long overdue. :sulkoff:

Second, I know a site where the Vulcan is for sale for only 90 Euros (!) :eek:

Here’s the link:

http://www.ranger-onlineshop.de/140050G.ahtml

It’s like an online dump store, so most of the inventory is used
The annoying bit is that the language is in German only.
I don’t know what the price of a Vulcan is in England, but I recon you they don’t come much cheaper than this.
These Vulcan’s are ex-military from de Dutch Marines en Commando’s and bought from the Dutch government as a package deal.

Rob van den Boogaard aka Bogeyman

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I only live in dorset if you want to try a new vulcan for size !Not had mine long , but i swear by it . I had one when i was in the army and it took years to wearout , they are comfy too .
Pumbaa

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Well this afternoon, I drove over to HM Supplies in Camberley following the Surrey Yeomans tip (Cheers!) :) and walked out of there with a Highlander 99 @ £55.

They do a 14 day money back policy, if you don't take the labels off, so I'll take them up on this if I'm not happy having scrutinised it at home and sticking some weight into it.

On first impressions however it looks really good. The back is adjustable so the waist strap fits on your hips, the padding looks really good on both the shoulder straps and down the back and there is quite a good lumber support. It's got three zipped pockets, one on each side and one on the back as well as a pocket in the main compartment lid with a brilliant rain cover in it. On top of the lid is some elasticated string for pushing clothing or whatever under. The main compartment is split of into two sections, one for your wet clothes or boots or something. If I keep this, I may well write up a proper full review of this product and post it here somewhere.

I think I'll still go and look at a Vulcan and maybe a Sabre as well within my 14 days grace period.

Sickboy, I should have said earlier but thanks for the offer of a London Guide It probably won't be needed as I know my way around the big smoke quite well. Cheer though mate, very friendly of you!

Also, Bogeyman welcome aboard, and thanks for the tip on the Vulcan rucksacks. I know these things apparently last forever, but I was interested in the Cyclops II back system which I think only newer Vulcans have. Cheers for the tip though, I'm sure lot's of people will be interested at that price. You could probably buy a shipment and flog 'em on eBay at a profit.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with the other rucksacks.

Obliged....GDB

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Glad my tip proved useful GDB!

Not a bad shop is it?

I got my Highlander Forces 99 from them a few months back when I got shot of my PLCE Bergen. I got a Forces 44 as a daysack too.

Both have had a fair bit of use since I bought them and seem to be performing well enough. They're both comfy to wear when loaded and nothing's snapped / broken on them yet.

Keep a close eye on the stiching though - I've noticed that the stiching on the bottom of one of the side pockets where it's fixed to the main compartment has come loose. 10 minute job with a needle and thread cured it though.

I use the bottom compartment to store my sleeping bag, tarp and bivi bag.

Let us know how you get on with it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE