what piece[s] of kit have you left behind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
at home or on the trail...??

did it make you turn back...??

or did you keep going...??

thankful i have not fallen foul as yet, but no doubt my time will come

Last edited:

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
During my Army days, we dug trenches 4 foot deep on occasion, and after a nights rest, we backfilled our trenches, grabbed our gear and we all carried on the patrol.

The problem was, I had removed my beloved SAK from out my front pants pocket, and hooked it on a Mopani root that stuck out about 2 inches into the trench.

Soooo, it is still there 40 years later, in what is now called Namibia, about 50 metres from the Angolan border.

Last edited:

Swampy99

Jun 8, 2022
Australia
My complete water purification kit. A Millbank bag, Sawyer mini filter, the dirty and clean water bag, and a packet of puritabs. Think it was lost on the trail or got left in a tea house on the Annapurna base camp track in Nepal. Lucky the next large town on the track had a shop that sold puritabs so was at least able to sterilise my water from the tea houses. Also there is a second Millbank bag hanging from a branch in the jungle of Taman negara national park in Malaysia. All school boy errors that I have learnt from.

By the time I had realised that they were missing I was to far away from them to turn back and look for them.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I once left behind my waterproof overtrousers on a mini-trip along St Cuthbert's Way. Thankfully, I didn't need them until the last day, crossing the causeway to Lindisfarne. We experienced rain that made you believe in the story of Noah and the flood and my lower half became very wet and very cold.

To answer your question, I couldn't go back - I could only keep going - but I have never forgotten them since! Lesson learned!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Leatherman Pulse for me. Loved that tool. Had it packed inside my suitcase for a holiday abroad. Never saw it again when we came back.
I feel your pain there....

I am finding it hard to remember bits that I have left, that are noteworthy?

My friend however was issued an RAF special issue leatherman, it was before the change of the replaceable cutters were widely released, and nothing like current versions.

He took it back out with him when on tour to Iraq, mistakenly had it on him when heading to a zero torlance weapon zone, it was either keep it and risk a local Iraq jail sentence. Or throw it into the desert....it went in to the sand 2 miles from a check point, never to be seen again.

Reactions: StevieE

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Length of paracord from my possibles pouch used as washing line in the Rockies back in the 1970s. I was miles away before I realised it was missing. It was a very remote area and I still wonder if it is still there.

Worst loss was my small travel kit the fruit of many years refinement of its content when my car was broken into outside my son's house in a very respectable part of Oxford when I stayed overnight on my way back from a work trip. I had left in the car as I didn't have a hand free to carry it and my briefcase which contained information covered by the Official Secrets Act. If they'd taken that, losing my job might have been the least of my worries!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Barbour waxed drifters hat. Left after putting in a stye in St Athan.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sage brush, Ponderosa pine and lots of small cactus, deer hunting in the mountains of southern BC. November, maybe been -10C for a week. Decided to sit on a hidden piano-sized rock. I had a1/2" thick neoprene scrap 12 x 12 to keep from freezing my boney butt. Got up and walked away. The pad might still be there from 35 years ago.

Big old pig-sticker of a cheap Bowie knife. Took it off, put it on the 4x4 roof, got in and drove away. Long gone for certain.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Primus spider gas stove on Dartmoor, stopped for a brew and drove of leaving it behind on the grass nearer to home when I realized so someone got a good freebie that day

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
North Slope of Alaska with a certain marine conservation group.
It is polar bear country ( or was with global warming) and my previous service taught me to carry insurance. Thankfully, I’ve never had to use it.
I brought a SMLE with already rare Canadian Dominion brand moose loads ( 215 grain) I wanted something dependable, rapid fire and rugged.
I got some very hostile feedback from the PETA faction.
Landed at this Inuit village. They offered Umluk in greeting. Everyone was horrified and refused. I took a piece and chewed down.
I was embraced and listened to respectfully. They ignored everyone else. A young hunter admired my rifle. I gifted it on leaving. Still 0 for 2. With the bears

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE