what part of the wood shall i use???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Hi.
One for the woodworkers. I recently got given some laburnum form a friend the turns wood and I am planning to make a bowl from it the problem is that i cant decide with side of the wood to use as its not really an ideal piece of wood to use because it includes the pith(it really is an odd bit of wood) i still want to try it. So i thought i'd get some opinions of weather to use the front or back. As a bowl turner he said he would attach the faceplate(i think) to the flat side if i remember correctly.
P8063056.JPG
P8063059.JPG

P8063061.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated.
Alex.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Laburnham wood is a bit toxic so make it a decorative bowl and not an eating bowl. It is lovely wood but you will need to visualise your bowl in there and cut it accordingly. I would plan to cut it to the right of the pith on the bottom picture.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If (IF) the wood is seasoned properly then the centre grain is not so much of a problem anyway.

The other solution is to turn the piece 'end grain' so that the pith is at the centre of rotation along the lathe and the rings rotate arouns it.

This spinning top is turned 'end grain', although the pith is slightly off centre in this example.

This bowl was turned 'cross grain' which is more conventional.

Both ways of mounting the wood have their pros and cons, although cross grain is generally held to be a bit easier, or so I understand.

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Thanks for the help. Should be interesting whatever happens I'll post some pic of the finished bowl
when i get it done.
Cheers.:)
Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE