What part of Horses Hoof fungus ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I know this has been asked many times before in some form or another, but i was wondering if anyone has a clear and consise picture of a cross section of this fungus. Im after a picture clearly showing the part to use when preparing it for tinder.
I have a really nice, what i beleive to be, horses hoof, but cant see what part to use. Also my fungus has a white base and not brown, is this right ?

Cheers,

Paul

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to hand, so will have to try and describe what I've saw. I've only cut up one of these, it was fairly small, but damn hard. Used a small folding pruning saw but it took some time to cut through. The upper 'shell' was dark grey, while the rest of it was dark brown. Once I cut into it, I really only saw 2 distinct layers, the largest of the two, look like the pores part, and a small thinish layer slightly darker, was near the hard outer shell.

I believe it's the thin layer you are meant to use, but I'm guessing here. Do you have any pics of your fungus, just to make sure its the right one?

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I know this has been asked many times before in some form or another, but i was wondering if anyone has a clear and consise picture of a cross section of this fungus. Im after a picture clearly showing the part to use when preparing it for tinder.
I have a really nice, what i beleive to be, horses hoof, but cant see what part to use. Also my fungus has a white base and not brown, is this right ?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul here is a link to a thred I posted a While back with some photos hope this helps
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34224

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
Paullyfuzz said:

I have one :) But this one has really huge layer of amadou.

t9w5zq.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE