What on earth is this thing ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Larval stage of something. I've seen the larvae of great diving beetles which are huge and weird looking - not quite right but similar

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No way that is a native critter. Looks like some sort of aquatic isopod, but unless that bucket is no more than millimetres across that is not a UK species.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Arthropods include the group called crustaceans, which are made up of decapods (crabs, lobsters, shrimps etc), Amphipods (usually called sandhoppers) and Isopods (woodlice and lots of aquatic beasties). Plus a few obscure groups.

The elongated shape of that thing suggests an isopod to my eye, but it could be a weird decapod. In the antarctiv there are no decapods at all, it is all isopods, and when I used to work with the British Antarctic Survey back in the 1990's I saw a few beasties that looked a bit like this thing. I'm no expert though, especially not on aquatics.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Arthropods include the group called crustaceans, which are made up of decapods (crabs, lobsters, shrimps etc), Amphipods (usually called sandhoppers) and Isopods (woodlice and lots of aquatic beasties). Plus a few obscure groups.

The elongated shape of that thing suggests an isopod to my eye, but it could be a weird decapod. In the antarctiv there are no decapods at all, it is all isopods, and when I used to work with the British Antarctic Survey back in the 1990's I saw a few beasties that looked a bit like this thing. I'm no expert though, especially not on aquatics.

Thanks for that.

If my Girlfriend wasn't asleep I'd get her to ID it as she's sitting her doctorate in Marine and Animal biochemistry. So she's pretty hot on all things animalia and flora.
However as I like my testicals I shalnt wake her up for this.. Who took the pic?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE