What multitool

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Now I have to confess I'm not a fan of multi tools but recently I have found myself needing several small tools for various jobs. I have had a couple Leatherman in the past but find them lacking in a few areas, especially the wire cutters.
Now could anyone recomend me an alternative to Leatherman and why that particular tool.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Johnny, I'd heartily recommend sog tools. I've got the powerlock, the pliers/wire cutters have a geared cam action which massively increases its ability to cut things. The tools are a little more fiddly to deploy than leatherman or Gerber but the cutting action is amazing. They'll cut through a 50p using one hand and very little force.
Next time your about have a play with them, see what you think.
Steve

touched by nature

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Cheers for that will have a looksee at them. I know some of the new LM have replaceable jaws but that worries me as to why.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Another +¹ for sog . The wood saw is an all saw and I once cut a spanner in half with mine! The pliers are fierce and will cut two strand barbwire in one. I'd say leathermans have a better knife blade though :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Another +¹ for sog . The wood saw is an all saw and I once cut a spanner in half with mine! The pliers are fierce and will cut two strand barbwire in one. I'd say leathermans have a better knife blade though :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Alas, mind has the cord cutting tool instead of the saw. I've found the file to be a bit of a beast too.

touched by nature

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I wish they would provide a service where you could pick you favored tools.

Pliers/ccutters
Double file
Philips/pozi drive
Small and med flat bit
Decent blade (non serrated)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've had a Gerber and a Victorinox but always end up going back to my now 10yr old original Leatherman Wave. Super tough and lighter than others i've owned:)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I've had a Gerber and a Victorinox but always end up going back to my now 10yr old original Leatherman Wave. Super tough and lighter than others i've owned:)

I think this sums it up nicely everyone would say the Victorinox but in reality most of us have a Wave as its so much lighter in weight Depends on how far you are gonna carry it I suppose
And i collect SAKs

Jul 1, 2013
Staffordshire
Had a wave for years got me out of a lot of trouble... I did one day bend the driver holder . i sent it back to leatherman and they sent me a brand new one...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I carried a Wave for a decade easily. Great tool, but I found the Victorinox Swisstool superior in build, tool design, variation and deployment by far. The main issue was the bulk and weight, so I always switched back to the lighter and smaller Leatherman. That is until last year when I found DM Bullards pancake .45 mag holsters fit the Swisstool perfectly and hold it close in to the body and solve any weight issue. Even with a tightish T shirt you can't see it being carried, and you really don't notice it is there as it is held tight to the body without any weight issues.

In-stock__380_Mag.jpg

DBST.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE