What mobile phone???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
My contract is up very shortly and I am unsure what phone to get next,I had a Samsung D500 last time but its proven to be less than robust.Any recomendations folks??? something rugged and able to stand up to the knocks I tend to put them through in the great outdoors and the urban enviroment!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used a Nokia, cannot remember the exact model number but it was rubber coated and splash-proof (good for me as I am a plumber). Some of the more recent ones have a built in altimeter...

Not a lot of help...sorry...but hopefully a useful pointer

LS

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
I just bought a Nokia 5140i last month after looking for a while for a rugged phone:

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-5140i.htm

I believe they've just stopped making them, but there are a few places that still stock them if you look around. From what I've read on the web, people either love the thing or hate it. Even though it hasn't got the lastest features, I still like it.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got a 5140 and like it. Shockproof, water resistant, built in compass and flashlight.

I had the model before it too which was a bit more robust but doesn't have as many features.

Not a phone to get if your ringtone is an expression of your individuality though. :rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Nokia 5140i is supposed to be a ruggedized phone, with rubber armour and reasonably well waterproofed. I dont think it's dunkable, but it has a higher level of waterproofing than most other phones. It also has built in electronic compass and barometer. You can also get a replacement cover for it, with a built in GPS reciever that uses the phones screen and battery. The phone then launches GPS as one of it's applications. I think the GPS is not nearly as good as a dedicated unit for serious GPSers, but it would work nicely as an emergency device. Though the GPS case does add a bulge on the back and is slightly bigger than the standard 5140i, making it a bulkier option.

gps.jpg

I've read the nokia is not so good for heavy text users, as the rubber armoured keypad makes key depressions a little harder than regular nokias. They go on ebay for £90-£100 unlocked, retail about £130.

I believe there are some clamshell phones just comming out, designed for water sports and all weather use which are totally waterproof and submersible, also with electronic compass. Not sure of the availability in the UK yet but they are on the shelves in Japan...

3060000000058407.JPG

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have had all three nokia ruggedised(sp) phone starting with the 5210 then the 5100 and now the 5140.
The 5210 was the strongest of the lot, reasonably water resistant and shock proofed, IIRC it had "suspension" holding the electrics away from the case, but was a pretty basic phone.
The 5100 was the new improved version with a torch thermometer and a few other features, I dropped it from my pocket and broke the screen within a week! not as sturdy or waterproof.
The 5140 (5140i is basically the same with a better camera and software)had lots of new features including compass and add on GPS(which I haven't got), the keypad isn't even part of the face so there is a gap down the side that muck and water gets into.
Overall for pure ruggedness I would go for the 5210, the oldest one of the range!
They seem to have gone away from being functionally strong, to just having the look of strength. I tried out the 5210 by trying to inflate the case, to see if it was sealed and there was a little resistance, not for diving by any means, the newest phone has holes in the case so there is nothing to stop water getting in.
If you are after the latest blue tooth and gizmos go for any chocolate bar design and put it in a strong zip lock, you can still use it through the bag and apart from waterproofing it the bag will cushion it too.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Goose said:
The 5140 (5140i is basically the same with a better camera and software)had lots of new features including compass and add on GPS(which I haven't got), the keypad isn't even part of the face so there is a gap down the side that muck and water gets into.

I've read that the GPS express on cover is supposed to enhance the water seals on the phone over the standard case, I wonder if it seals the keypad?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Martyn said:
I've read that the GPS express on cover is supposed to enhance the water seals on the phone over the standard case, I wonder if it seals the keypad?
Could do, the cover on mine is unbeleivably bad, as if they have deliberately made it that way so you buy an upgrade!There is a flap that "seals" the bottom where the plugs go, this has a hole in it for the microphone. On the top there are holes in the case for the torch, the earpiece and the ringer speaker, as I have said looks seem to have taken priority over function.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE