what material can withstand sparks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Scotchmate is likely to be a mixture of various things to give the best compromise of flame retardant/non-toxic/usability properties.

According to a research paper (on the topic of environmentally safe retardants) these are the main classes...

• Inorganics compounds
o Aluminium trihydroxide, ammonium polyphosphate, antimony trioxide.
• Halogenated organic compounds
o Brominated and chlorinated compounds. These include chlorinated
paraffins, tetrabromobisphenol-A, decabromodiphenyl ether.
• Organic phosphorous compounds
o Phosphate esters such as triphenyl phosphate, others combined with
halogen compounds.
• Nitrogen based compounds
o Melamines

This is probably of very little help but there you go anyway!

Jay

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've got a Helly Hansen 80% wool field jacket that's got a fire-retardant treatment, and a ventile jacket. The ventile might scorch a bit, but it's not going to melt or go up in flames easily.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Not sure what to use in that situation. Round the camp fire I don't want to wear gore-tex or fleece for fear of melting. despite lots of wicking shirts and t-shirts being made of man made material. I have a thick cotton (looks like wool) jumper which I wear when I'm near a fire. It might burn a bit worst comes to worst but it won't melt like my fleece will! Not sure what wool tops i like, not sure about Swanndri's...

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
You should be fine in any natural fabrics. It's generally only synthetic fabrics (which the exception of Helly Hansen's PVC) that burn. Or, just don't stand too close to the campfire.

Mind you, the burning of synthetics is a bit overstated I think. A person just has to be a bit more careful than they would wearing natural garments.

Adam

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I wear a lot of wool and polycotton (G1000). They don't burn, are tough and durable. For my jacket I wear a Tenson jacket. Never had a hole burned in it.
I like fleece, bur only when i'm not sitting by a fire.

Michiel

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Don't really know by heart. I tried to look it up, but I didn't find it on the site. It's a summer jacket made out of MPC. Good stuff!

Where are you from?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Well ... any good tips on good affordable trousers or jackets that contain Nomex?

The only ones I found until now where orange ones worn by airport personal, not something you want to wear in the forest, or do you?

Nomex is expensive and doesn't breed that well. Not really good for the purpose. Buy a pair of wool trousers (older suits just to be made of wool) in a charity shop as a cover pant. Cheap, tough and somewhat fire retardant. Or just accept the fact that sleeping next to a fire will cause some holes in your clothes. Patch it up!

Haven't had any problems, usually use g1000 or similar, though wool during winter. I use a wool blanket when I sleep next to fires, so it hasen't been a problem for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE