What large bivvy will comfortably fit a Exped down 9 DLX and lofty sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hi guys and (gals),

Anyone with a Exped downmat 9 DLX who can recommend a bivvy bag that fits the description? I can fit the mat in my Dutch army bivvy (barely) but especially at the bottom it will compress my sleeping bag, thus losing all the lofty goodness. So looking for a nice large breathable bivvy. Do they exist? :rolleyes:

All suggestions are much appreciated!

Regards,

Lennart

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cheers Wayland!
I have thought of using the bivvy on top of the downmat, but would rather stick it inside.
Will you be using a cover over the downmat or are you putting it straight on the snow?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cheers Wayland!
I have thought of using the bivvy on top of the downmat, but would rather stick it inside.
Will you be using a cover over the downmat or are you putting it straight on the snow?

I will have my German mountain pack with me so I might use the mat from that underneath if I think there is any puncture risk otherwise it'll be straight down onto the snow.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I can get 2 sleeping bags and 2 mats in my army bivi bag.

IMG_0219.JPG

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you can stretch to it financially, the Rab Ridge Raider single-hooped bivi or the Terra Nova Saturn will both take an Exped DLX and decent (thick) winter bag. Both are hooped though.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Silverhill. They look good. Still hoping for non hooped alternatives though.

I'm going to have the same issues by the look of it as I'm taking a brit army bag and 9 lw. I can't size it til my new one turns up (sent one back faulty, still waiting for a replacement).

Sewing an extra panel down the front to enlarge it is what I'm thinking of , or taking my 200g lightweight bivi bag to keep the mat in and sleep on top of that.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Shewie, some very nice pics there! Wouldn't mind spending a couple of nights out like that.

@ ID, I am actually part lepricon, at 5.10 and around 155 lbs I shouldn't be the biggest part of the problem ;)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I contacted Exped and they suggested to use the downmat under a bivy instead of in. Their own Event/PU bivvy should be big enough to hold the DLX, but I think my sleeping bag would still get compressed in the foot area (where I need insulation to keep my feet toasty). They recommended not to put the mat inside the all Event bivvy because the bottom of the bivvy is less sturdy than the bottom of the mat.

According to Exped there should not be a problem using the downmat straight on the snow. Just to be safe I will bring a mat-cover (floor of PU coated tent floor fabric).
I guess I will go with my smaller alpine bivvy to just hold my sleeping bag and myself. The mat-cover should help to prevent sliding off. This setup should still be compact and actually lighter than my Army bivvy.

Fortunately I dont move around a lot when I sleep ;)

Problem solved.....

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
@ ID, I am actually part lepricon, at 5.10 and around 155 lbs I shouldn't be the biggest part of the problem ;)

I'm 5'10.5'' and 202lb. I can get my Exped7 + 3/4 length karrimat in my bivi but it does reduce loftage. My final solution will be

1) 3mm expanded foam mat
2) 3/4 length Thermarest stylee Karrimor mat
3) Exped 7
4) Army MVP bag
5) 4+ season bag
6) 3 season bag
7) Me

IMG_0310.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE