What knife do you use ? whats laws importing knifes into uk ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all just wondering what knife you use when out in woods camping ? i really like the look of the gerber lmf ii just wondering what the laws are on importing into uk ? would it get conviscated when going through the postal services ? much cheaper on flea bay etc thats all.

also what is best knife sharpener as i already have knifes but blunt, stone or a pocket type etc ?

also how much paracord do you pack and what is the best general paracord to take ? know its very handy but not sure what size etc

thanks Dean

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I use a Jack Pyke locking folder as my main carry in the woods. It's a lovely knife that I have used for a lot of things.

With regards to importing knives it isn't illegal as long as you the buyer are 18 years or older and the knife you are buying is not one listed as an offensive weapon I.e. butterfly knife/flick knife.

I normally have at least 8 feet of para cord on me whilst out in the woods but others may take more or less.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As Dannytsg says importing knives is ok, but dont try to import illegal ones. You can import bigger knives than you are allowed to legally carry. The gerber should be fine. When out in the woods I usually carry one of my own knives and a gerber paraframe that I made my own blade for. Paracord ? I dont have an exact amount, but probably around 10M, it weighs nothing and takes up no space.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
swiss army ranger never leaves me woods or anywhere. In my bushcraft bag i carry a cold steel bushman bowie version and a mora. For sharpening i carry a DC 4 stone and as for paracord i have a 100m spool in the boot but tend to take approx 15m (to be honest i have lines attached to my basha already so its just backup cord)

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
wow thanks a lot for the replies very helpful, exactly what parracord should i purchase ? also anyone used the gerber lmf ii ?
and are the sharpening stones the best to use ?

would the gerber lmf ii get through customs fine ? its a fixed blade knife

Thanks again
Dean

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Fixed blade knives are not illegal & so you should have no issue with customs. Might have to pay import duty + VAT on it but you might get lucky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE