What kit to buy

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
I am looking for the following items and was wondering if you have any recommendations.

I would like lightweight kit, long lasting and small packing size.

Tarp around 3x3M
Hammock
Bivy bag
Sleeping bag
Self inflating mat

Also looking for a small/light headtorch that runs of AA batteries

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I would like lightweight kit, long lasting and small packing size.

You can have lightweight, cheap and durable but not all three at once. :)

So first you need to decide what your budget is, this will drive how light and durable the gear would be.... if that makes sense? There are myriad choices to be made on kitand everyone will have an opinion on it :D

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
You can have lightweight, cheap and durable but not all three at once. :)

So first you need to decide what your budget is, this will drive how light and durable the gear would be.... if that makes sense? There are myriad choices to be made on kitand everyone will have an opinion on it :D

Does not have to be cheap. I do not mind saving a little for items i will use if they will last me and save me carrying a large heavy pack.
I do not have a budget, just looking for ideas then will find a price and save up.. :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
OK

Hammock and tarps are not my thing...

Sleeping bag - Rab quantum endurance 600
Sleeping mat - Exped downmat 7
Bivvy bag - If this is being used in conjuction with another form of shelter - something from pertex should do for secondary protection and keep the weight down - as well as being far more breathable than most other products, keeping condensation down.

That combination would be useable throughout the year (you can always vent a warm bag in summer). It is very comfy lightweight and expensive... However, everyone will have a 'take on it' - you could achieve the same level of comfort with a thermarest and an army surplus sleeping bag / bivvi bag - but it would be much more bulky and a lot heavier.... The choices are infinitely variable.

Sorry if that doesn't help much :eek:

Edited to add: the Rab quantum is a down bag. You need to do a quick search on the pros and cons of down / synthetic bags before deciding which direction to spend your hard earned cash on.

Last edited:

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
OK

Hammock and tarps are not my thing...

Sleeping bag - Rab quantum endurance 600
Sleeping mat - Exped downmat 7
Bivvy bag - If this is being used in conjuction with another form of shelter - something from pertex should do for secondary protection and keep the weight down - as well as being far more breathable than most other products, keeping condensation down.

That combination would be useable throughout the year (you can always vent a warm bag in summer). It is very comfy lightweight and expensive... However, everyone will have a 'take on it' - you could achieve the same level of comfort with a thermarest and an army surplus sleeping bag / bivvi bag - but it would be much more bulky and a lot heavier.... The choices are infinitely variable.

Sorry if that doesn't help much :eek:

Edited to add: the Rab quantum is a down bag. You need to do a quick search on the pros and cons of down / synthetic bags before deciding which direction to spend your hard earned cash on.

Thank you very much.

I will look into the mat and bivy but i would like a synthetic bag just because of the easier care instructions.
I know i could be comfy with a foam mat, army bag and such but i really would like lighter and smaller kit that will last me

Thanks again :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Also look at the rucksack you are carrying. There can be a dramatic difference in weight between many of them. The first sac I used to cart about was about 70l 2.5 kg - empty!!! By reducing kit to a lighter more compact set up, I can now squeeze it into a Crux AK 47 at 1.1kg....

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Also look at the rucksack you are carrying. There can be a dramatic difference in weight between many of them. The first sac I used to cart about was about 70l 2.5 kg - empty!!! By reducing kit to a lighter more compact set up, I can now squeeze it into a Crux AK 47 at 1.1kg....

I am looking at the Berghaus Munro, it weighs 1kg but all reviews for the pack are amazing. 35L which should do me fine and as i will be in woodlands i want something that will protect my kit..
Thanks for all the help.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Alas the outdoor shop has the downmat - I hadnt realised they had moved on to an 'ultralite' - the original is around 900g and this latest incarnation seems to be around 750g. Fricken expensive too!

To be honest I have given you a gold plated standard to look at - you did ask :)... The multimat on Mears' site is more in line with what most people use. For something between the two have a look at the thermarest brand of self inflating matresses.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Righto... I am gonna clear off out of here and let someone else share their views:)

However, you will not fit the kit you intend to carry into a 35L rucksack.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Righto... I am gonna clear off out of here and let someone else share their views:)

Thank you very much for all the help.
I asked for help and am not arguing with your response, i really do appreciate it but £120 more for something heavier is silly to me coming from a ultralight site.

My son carries the same amount of kit in the Berghaus munro. Tarp, Hammock, Sleeping bag and mat in the main compartment with waterbottle and cooking vestle on top and everything else in the top pocket. Will see if he has any pictures on the chip
I was going to borrow his kit but he will be coming with me for my first few camps :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Ah... Sorry D,

The downmat 7 is filled with down and is 7 cm thick. It is a luxury to sleep on in winter - really warm. In fact I often just use my sleeping bag as a quilt over the top of me when sleeping on one of these. Far more comfortable too.

By contrast I have slept on a length of bubble-wrap....

as I get older I think my 'strap-line' should be 'Lightweight, but as comfortable as possible' :D

WRT the 35L sac - OK I was taking your list from the other thread.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Ah... Sorry D,

The downmat 7 is filled with down and is 7 cm thick. It is a luxury to sleep on in winter - really warm. In fact I often just use my sleeping bag as a quilt over the top of me when sleeping on one of these. Far more comfortable too.

By contrast I have slept on a length of bubble-wrap....

as I get older I think my 'strap-line' should be 'Lightweight, but as comfortable as possible' :D

Sounds great.. don't think i will be winter camping until next year as ill be in a rush this year to get all the gear together in time but will seriously consider that.
I have read about people sleeping in tyvek sheeting in painters dropcloth.. by choce! I want to keep weight down but i am not that bad.. :eek:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been using one of these http://www.heinnie.com/Sleep-Pads/S...k-Self-Inflating-Sleeping-Mat/p-627-709-4573/ since last year, and its comfortable (not as comfortable as a down mat but a better price), seems very durable - I havent managed to damage it yet, fairly lightweight and small.

I can also recommend a DD 3mx3m tarp and camping hammock as they've never let me down.

Army surplus bivvy bags seem popular - I've got a Rab bivvy but havent used it yet, it does pack to can of beans size and is very light.

Cant help much with sleeping bag advice as I use an army surplus winter bag, its huge when packed and weighs a ton - great for car camping and nice and toasty when used as a quilt.

Have a look at petzl head torches, I've had a few and they are pretty bombproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE