What Kip Mat ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Having yet to do an overnighter in "proper" bushcraft mode I'm wondering what I'll be best using as a kip mat. I've done plenty of camping, as well as making beds as and when needed. Please don't all tell me to buy a hammock, I can't use one due to a recurring back injury problem. I sleep FLAT, or I don't get up again!

What are the best kip mats out there? I have one of the khaki ex-army jobs, but even these leave a lot to be desired on a piece of rough ground. I have in the past padded beneath it with plenty of grass or bracken, but I'm guessing that at many of the places that "meets" and like are to be held, the gathering of such in any quantity might be either frowned upon or impossible. I want something that will give me a bit of comfort on the ground without being too bulky or heavy to have in my pack all day.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a stormlite one, and it's very comfy - I bought it when it was in a half price sale though:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/cat_id/EQUISLEESELF/product-Stormlite-Ultralight-Full-Mat-31291.htm

It's a thermarest type, but a fraction of the price. Highlander do thermarest alternatives, Airic ones were recommended in the thread below:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8267&highlight=thermarest

I think the open cell/inflatable mats are preferable to the closed cell roll mats - they keep you warmer, and are easier (IMO) to carry.

Lastly, I did consider buying one of the down-filled mats from Exped - they're very light and supposed to be very very warm. Expensive though and a bit more fiddly to inflate (need to use the stuffsack as a pump to prevent the moisture in your breath dampening the down).

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/trek/expedmats.htm

HTH.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I recently picked up a thermarest one , and although they are a bit on the pricey side , they are really good . I used it at the october dartmoor meet and this was the first time i noticed the cold when i slipped off the mat ! They pack quite small for their size (atleast the light weight one i got does).
I can definately recomend them .
Pumbaa

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Therma rest which is very good, I know some people reccomend the three quarter length ones but to be honest I feel that if you are going to go to the bother of carrying one in the first place it might as well be a proper one.

Some people use their rucksack go under their legs when using the three quarter one but I would rather keep my gear inside it and figure that for a few grams difference it's not worth the hassle.

I have also bought two thermarest copies from Netto a while ago for less than a tenner each but have not used them yet, they don't pack down as small as the thermarest but seem to be just as thick.
Unfortunatly as Netto tend to so a lot of spotlines they have not had any in since.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
You could give the old British '58 pattern cot a go.
It has a "wire" frame and legs and packs down realtively small.
Wouldn't be something I'd normally recommend for buscraft type outings but you have to "cut your cloth" and if the flat sleeping issue is important to you then it may be worth the extra weight/bulk.

One thing though, unless you have a good relationship with a dealer, don't but one mail order. Get to a shop or a fair and pick yourself a good one.

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
I got my first Thermarest 8 or 9 years ago, and I haven't used anything else since (when I had a choice) I'd echo all the sentiments expressed above, don't get a 3/4 length unless you are 3/4 length yourself, a prolite or guidelite full length would be my choice now.

You'll be glad you bought one after your first nights proper sleep.

I bought my first Thermarest last year after spending years thinking they would be a waste of money ( I used a 15 yr old closed cell mat )
- I dont think ive ever been more wrong about anything.
Its not just the comfort - which is superb - but the insulation makes a huge difference. I used to regularly wake up in the early morning from the cold and now (with the same sleeping bag) I never feel cold. :lmao:

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I bought my thermarest full length around 1991 and is still going strong. I have used all the roll type mats before this period and suffered with stiff hips, so had to get something more durable, that would get me off the cold ground. The thing I like about the thernarest types is that after leaving unrolled to self inflate, you can then add/release more air to make it more comfy depending on how you like it. As you get older you yearn for the comforts rather than the stupidity of trying to rough it of your younger years. The thermarest is the king of the mats but I am sure the copies do an equal job but are they of suitable quality that is going to last? I like my thermarest and it will join me on further adventures around the woods in the future (when I get rid of this stinking cold)...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
If you pop down to your local Cotwolds store (if you have any) you will find they are doing the Thermarest Prolite 3 regular length for £35. It's only in orange which is a shame, but good value at that price if you want a genuine one.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Longstrider said:
What are the best kip mats out there? I have one of the khaki ex-army jobs, but even these leave a lot to be desired on a piece of rough ground. I have in the past padded beneath it with plenty of grass or bracken, but I'm guessing that at many of the places that "meets" and like are to be held, the gathering of such in any quantity might be either frowned upon or impossible. I want something that will give me a bit of comfort on the ground without being too bulky or heavy to have in my pack all day.

A few years ago I developed arthritus in one of my shoulders - no doubt from sleeping on the ground for so many years. I bought a couple of thermarest mats - though paying that much about killed me.

A couple of years ago, on our way out the door, I noticed one of the mats had a hole in it. We stopped at Gander Mountain, in a town we went through, to buy another. Instead we ended up with the Gander Mountain brand - twice the mat for half the price. We soon bought another and the Thermarest is now a spare.

I don't know if you have the Gander Mountain brand in England, but if you do, I recommend them highly.

PG

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I have an Exped down mat and it almost more comfortable than my regular bed, a Thermarest or similar doesn't come anywhere close (I have an Alpkit Airic to compare with). Even my wife loves it and she's fussy!

scanker said:
Lastly, I did consider buying one of the down-filled mats from Exped - they're very light and supposed to be very very warm. Expensive though and a bit more fiddly to inflate (need to use the stuffsack as a pump to prevent the moisture in your breath dampening the down).

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/trek/expedmats.htm

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
since I broke gawd knows how many ribs and pulverised me lower back ive not been able to lay on the ground so I bought an inlatable mattress and I am able to camp on any surface and enjoy the outdoors :D :D :D

Dec 30, 2005
South Wales
Thermarest certainly offer a good range of self inflating mats to cover all eventualities. It's worth investigating which one would suit your requirements best.

I own two (3/4 & full length) thermarests which have served me well over the years. I use these in a variety of configurations along with a traditional closed cell British Army roll mat and a British Army folding camp bed. For light weight man packing in temperate conditions I use the 3/4 thermarest upping this to a full length thermarest as winter sets in. In the arctic I use the 3/4 thermarest ontop of the closed cell roll mat (I would use the full length thermarest with the closed cell mat but the extra size and weight are too great along with all the extra kit required for that environment). When vehicle born I take the folding camp bed and place a thermarest ontop of this as insulation and for comfort.

I hope this has been of some help...

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thanks for the input guys. I'm now looking at at getting either a "real" Thermarest or one of the copies.
Whilst I do have my own transport, I don't want to go down the line of getting a camp bed because I want something that I can stick in my pack and wander with without adding too much excess bagage.
I have made my own versions of camp beds in the past, simply to get off the cold, damp earth whilst on overnight stops in the no-wheres. They have ranged from an assortment of paracord, ropes etc wound over two logs which were pegged to stop them rolling together when I got on the cords in-between, through to a full frame made by lashing various woodwork together and making a "matress" of heather topped with bracken. One of the best temporary beds I have ever slept in was the one I made in a ditch. I cut a load of wood and laid it across the width of the ditch, wedging it into the earth either side to make a platform about 7 feet long (I'm 6'4" so I like plenty of bed) about a foot above the bottom of the dry ditch. I then laid another load of wood over the top to form a roof. Covering both layers of wood with bracken and filling in one end gave me a very comfy bed and a watertight(ish) roof. I just crawled into my bracken-lined cave and many Zzzz's followed.

Pauli

Aug 11, 2005
Norwich
I bought the Airic mat from Alpkit last year and recommend it. Good mat, good price and includes a puncture repair kit.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Pauli said:
I bought the Airic mat from Alpkit last year and recommend it. Good mat, good price and includes a puncture repair kit.

Agree with you Pauli, bought one of these myself last year, can highly recommend it, very comfortable, very warm and very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE