What Kip Mat ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
As an alterantive to the Thermarest range... I use an Artiach Skin Mat, and I find it's really comfortable. I've got a full length one too, like most people here, I'd say that the extra bit of weight is not worth the hit on the comfort.

Not too cheap tho, but does come with an oddly intriguing strangely sticky/not sticky surface (!). Might be a bit more fragile than some, but inside my bivi bag, which is on a bit of ripstop, it seems to have been ok so far. It's been better having had a bit of time to self-inflate, but I'd think they are all like that, just like shaking your sleeping bag out in plenty of time too ...

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
nicham said:
In the arctic I use the 3/4 thermarest ontop of the closed cell roll mat (I would use the full length thermarest with the closed cell mat but the extra size and weight are too great along with all the extra kit required for that environment).

In winter we use toboggans - which allows the transport of a lot more gear for less effort than when using a pack. I bring the thickest mat I have - plus a foam military (plus a foot of boughs cut on site). I've tried using a cot with six inch legs in winter, but the air under the cot is colder than using a mat and laying on the ground. In summer, I use the 3/4 mat - or nothing at all.

PG

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I use a full length Thermarest 3. It's fine but if I had my way back I would go for the thickest one.

Don't forget to always bring a repair kit with you ;)

I also have some thermarest copies from Lidl or Aldi - cheap and really comfortable but a bit bulky - great for car camping.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
3/4 length Thermarest here - from back in the days when there was only one Thermarest. Dunno what current model it's equivalent to... In retrospect, full length might've been a better choice, but I'm used to it now. ;)

Closed-cell mats are pants. Very cheap, but pants. :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Another vote for an Airic from me. I spent a good month sleeping on a Fat Airic last year and it's just so very comfortable, and the service from the Alpkit guys is excellent.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Blimey those glow rings are cheap! I use the ones with alloy ends, and they're ace, with a multitude of uses. I usually hang one on a lanyard above my bivvi etc when out in the sticks to mark it at night if you wander a bit. The good thing is that the range is limited so you can see it close up, but anyone who wanders by more than say 50ft away wouldn't see it. I also have one fitted to the dog for night walks.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I noticed only one person was using a sheepskin. I've been looking at reindeer hides recently and thought they make a useful (if expensive and somewhat heavy) sleeping mat. Does anyone have any experience with this -- good or bad? I'd like to know before I get too serious about investing the time and effort to get the best deal on a reindeer hide.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
A quick tip - put your sleep mat inside your sleeping bag, especially if you're in a hammock - that way you don't end up moving off it in the night by accident.

As to using hides for sleeping mats, they are very good as insulators, but not quite as good at stopping you feeling the rough ground - although this isn't a problem if you're sleeping on snow or grassy ground. They also tend to give you more grip in a hammock which means you're sliding about less.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Therm-a-rest are great.
They seem expensive when your buying them but they last very well.
I tried a 3/4 and quickly realised that it was not the way to go so replaced it with a full length RidgeRest.
I suffer with a bad back from time to time so i also bought a Trail Lite which is a bit more comfortable and still smaller than a regular foam mat.

rb

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Topcat02 said:
Fat Airic,

Will let you know how it fares for a "bigger built chap". :lmao:
I've got a wee Airic, vastly undercuts the thermarest at #15, is more than big enough for me (I'm 6'), came with a free poster :D , weighs nothing, postage free, the Alpkit folks are very pleasant indeed. Can't recommend it enough :cool:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
retrohiker said:
I noticed only one person was using a sheepskin. I've been looking at reindeer hides recently and thought they make a useful (if expensive and somewhat heavy) sleeping mat. Does anyone have any experience with this -- good or bad? I'd like to know before I get too serious about investing the time and effort to get the best deal on a reindeer hide.
Yes, they are fantastic. Trouble is, they don't last long, and cost a lot. In a country as warm as ours they fall apart quickly, especially with wriggling sleepers on them or screwed up in a bag. Cheapest ones are about 60-80 quid over here, though they are much cheaper in Scandinavia. They are the ultimate though, if you don't mind the weight and replacements :)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
What size do the Airics pack down to?

On the site it says: Packed size: 67 x 11.5cm
While the Thermarest Prolite 4 packs to PACK SIZE: 28 X 12CM

seems a bit odd. Does the thermarest fold in half before rolling?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
soa_uk said:
e the Thermarest Prolite 4 packs to PACK SIZE: 28 X 12CM

seems a bit odd. Does the thermarest fold in half before rolling?

Yes they do fold in half before rolling. They do recommend that the mat is not kept tightly packed for long term storage.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. With my build it's not so vital that I watch every ounce I pack, and I'm wise enough (just) to know that when I need a good nights sleep, I need a good nights sleep. I'm also old enough to have decided that if I'm going to do it, I want to do it in some comfort.
I have therefore decided to go for the Fat Airic. I'll be glad of the extra length it offers and fully expect to get a pretty comfortable lump-free nights sleep on something thats over 7cm thick.

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I always sleep on a Thermarest Trail 3 Regular. I'm 6'2" and doubt I'll ever use anything else as they are excellent for sleeping and sitting on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE