what kind of leather do I need - and dye?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
Hi guys, I've been through the forums and found the lepreovo website for my leather supplies, but there are so many different kinds!!

I'm looking to buy a sheet of leather to make scout woggles which I will laser cut and brand. I'm looking for a fairly light colour,a few mm thick. the thickness or a bit thinner than the standard scout woggle (but lighter)

leather_embossed_woggle.thm.jpg

Also I'm looking to paint some of them in color.

This website is a great resource so I hope you can help

thanks

cb

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
~ 3mm veg tanned shoulder would be what I'd use. I'd also get a stamp made rather than mess about laser cutting ;)

depending on how many you need you could just buy a 'belt' blank (at whatever with you want) rather than a whole shoulder which would be enough to dress a whole District;) and I believe acrylic paint is what you need

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
thanks all, 3mm veg tanned, got it.

I'm looking to produce a set of woggles for the whole group (50+) to celebrate our 60th anniversary so I'll look into smaller bits, luckily I work at an arts college and have access to very expensive laser cutting equipment and as a geek the technology is fascinating so thats why I'm planning to use the laser rather than traditional crafts.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
thanks all, 3mm veg tanned, got it.

I'm looking to produce a set of woggles for the whole group (50+) to celebrate our 60th anniversary so I'll look into smaller bits, luckily I work at an arts college and have access to very expensive laser cutting equipment and as a geek the technology is fascinating so thats why I'm planning to use the laser rather than traditional crafts.
Why Not use your fancy laser to cut an equally fancy stamp, out of something fancy like necuron:D and then use the stamps to make your leather woggle.

Have a word with Kerne on this site who may be able to help. He's a really helpful bloke and skilled maker of 'stuff':D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE