What I've learned about the Brits from BBC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The bing of pu erh was a lovely present indeed :) Beautifully packaged too in a silk lined box ! I hope Jamie didn't spend too much on it, he does know his way around teas. He's off to HK just now, so no idea what he'll bring home this time :)
To be honest I was kind of feart to break into the bing, but I'm glad I did, it's good tea :D I have to prise the leaves loose from the thing. It's wider than my handspan, over an inch thick, and it's rock hard. I ended up using one of the little spike things that are meant to extract bits of nuts from broken shell.
Nut pick, couldn't mind the word there.

Robson Valley ? gunpowder tea is a perennial favourite :D Chinese supermarkets sell it and it's really cheap there.

M

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Coffee was the drink of choice in uk long before tea. Coffee houses were about in the 17th century. However they were wrong and tea took its rightful place.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Orange pekoe is the bud? Then, pekoe is the first leaf . . . . . . the sixth leaf is lapsang suchong (sp?) I can't remember the middle ones....

Here you go

Black_tea_grading.jpg

From what I've read though, the grading system wasn't and isn't universal and varies a bit by region.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
ha! that explains why I thought orange pekoe was quite palatable in Canada. Its a black tea!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The tea leaf color, black, red or green, is related to the timing and temperature of the fermentation process.
Dig to the bottom of your compost box and look at the color. Explains a lot.
I'll have mine roasted, thanks.

We've got people in the village roasting and selling coffee. Far better than I expected.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont like Pueh.

Give me Oolong, or gunpowder or Russian caravan.

or Jasmine.

(None of this new fangled cornish either...)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
What grows in Cornwall, stays in Cornwall................probably because no-one else wants it, but that is besides the point.:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really, really, hope you didn't say what I think you did, Boatman. (Dumas ? really ? )

I do like the teas of the camellia family though :)
I have a tea plant growing in a pot, I am quietly hopeful that one day I can actually pick and make my own :D
If they can do it commercially in Perthshire, then surely I can do it in Lanarkshire.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I really, really, hope you didn't say what I think you did, Boatman. (Dumas ? really ? )

Put it down to it seemed like a good idea Toddy,brain not engaged. My apologies, I am actually blushing with embarassment.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Toddy. Were I still "professing" Economic Botany, this thread & links would be most useful.
While I can appreciate the interests of so many people in this, I'm not fond of tea of any sort.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Was in a posh Chinese restaurant in Beijing. Asked for a pot of green tea. Got a pot of hot water and a Liptons green tea bag........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE