What I've learned about the Brits from BBC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hello John Lee, As others have already said there's no problem that can't be resolved by the inclusion of a good cup of tea. A complex equation involving hot water, good tea, and milk with optional sugar can be applied to any sutuation to reach an acceptable outcome.

My American wife was equally confused about our love affair with the noble tea plant, she tried a cup a few times but prefers coffee. I tried coffee but when it come to dunking your biccies only tea will do.

Survival is all about a good cup of tea.

Here's a few British shows my wife recommended, if you can find them on PBS.

Waiting for God
A Touch of Frost.
Are You Being Served?
Open all Hours.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hello, John Lee............

What you have to bear in mind is that you're getting an impression of us from the TV in the same way as we used to get our image of you guys from Hollywood; but we knew not to take all that on board after thinking about it very slowly over a few good brews! :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Dixon of Dock green once shot someone. Andy (son-in-law also a policeman) was taken hostage on a cargo boat. PC Dixon requested the revolver that the Master of the ship had, as Captain. Eased the door open where hostage and villain were and shot the "perp". Always a steel fist inside the velvet glove of British law and security, and quite right too.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

British Army tea - NATO Standard - milk and two sugars.

Don't believe that b*$$*£&s about bromide - we repopulated most of Germany! :lmao:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
We are just lucky none of our enemies in wars gone past were aware of how crucial the tea was to victory, well that was until the Boston Tea Party saga, you all threw the really good tea in the harbour but kept the Liptons brand, we couldn't hack the stress anymore without the propsect of a regular proper brew when the s h t f so packed up in the huff and went back to Blighty for a proper cuppa char

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
We are just lucky none of our enemies in wars gone past were aware of how crucial the tea was to victory, well that was until the Boston Tea Party saga, you all threw the really good tea in the harbour but kept the Liptons brand, we couldn't hack the stress anymore without the propsect of a regular proper brew when the s h t f so packed up in the huff and went back to Blighty for a proper cuppa char

That's funny about the Lipton brand. My mom's brother Tom Dixon was over here twice. The second time he brought his own tea and his girlfriend. She brought a big bag of candy she called "sweets." Tom referred to the Lipton tea my mother served as "rubbish." Tom had a way with words. Unfortunately he has since died

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Some of the nastiest attempts at a cup of tea i've tasted trying to make a proper cuppa out of those Liptons tea bags everytime i have been in USA and my stash of tea bags i brought with me has ran out

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I did hear that the "Boston Tea party" was rigged and an inside job, so that all the good tea would be thrown away, and only the Liptons tea was left, and this was done to serve the Americans right for protesting, and they have never had a decent cup of tea since, even despite trying with Orange PeKoe.....yuk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yuk.

(In Chinese resteraunt today; `tea and it had better be proper china.`)

And you can keep your Tregothian...its Darjeeling.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lipton isn't bad if served cold, with ice, lemon and sugar...and its over 80F outside. Just don't think of it as "tea" :D

It is now possible to get real tea in the US in many super markets. Walmart sell Twinings and Tetley for starters.

Took a variety pack of Twinings to Spyderco as a gift...was slightly disappointed that they were familiar with most of the types and they were readily available over there already.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Even if the Romans learned nothing from us (but then - what did they ever do for US?) they learned
"Mens sana in corpore sano"
or (freely translated)
"Mens' sanity incorporates the need for (bacon) sarnis"
other classical scholars will tell you Juvenal meant
"A healthy mind in a healthy body"
which any Brit will tell you is about the same thing - especially if you wash them down with tea (preferably Glengettie)!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was a funny moment in the documentary called Secrets of the SAS episode 1, on the Operation Barras (aka Operation Certain Death).

After describing the initial assault, chaos and carnage of the gunfight to take the West Side Boys camp, and after securing the hostages, sorting out ammunition... then next on the list was make a brew.

"It was gone ten o'clock and needed a cup of tea"

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There is a great line in that fine film, A bridge too far, when Horrocks is offered a cup of tea by his batman and says something like "the battle,plan has gone to pot, I have no idea where my soldiers are etc etc and you want me to have a cup of tea ?"
The reply is "couldnt hurt, Sir "
Classic.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Best line in a bridge too far, is when the german comes across the bridge, waving a white flag to talk, and says, 'my general wants to discuss surrender'
to which the english officer replies, 'we'd love to, but we have no facilities to take you all prisoner.'

Now that is the perfect english reply.

He had obviously just had a cup of PG tips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE