What I've learned about the Brits from BBC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
Hello over there. I find myself watching several British television shows that air on our PBS stations (Public Broadcasting Station). Last night was "Call the Mid Wife." Another favorite is "Midsomer Murders." Here's what I have learned.

Brit #1 -- Call the Mid Wife, my water just broke and I'm having twins.
Brit #2 -- I'll put the kettle on.

Brit #1 -- I just cut off my foot trimming the mulberry tree.
Brit #2 -- I'll put on the kettle, carve a spoon from the branch and make some mulberry wine.

Not making sport of you guys just that tea and the kettle are omnipresent in the shows which I enjoy. Incidentally, my mother was born and raised in Bradford before marrying my father in 1945 after the war. Her maiden name was Dixon, perhaps some of us are distant cousins.
John Lee the Bald

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
US Meals Ready to Eat; Flameless heater
UK Rat Pack ...Tea bags
Says it all
and a plus one for the survival/tea thread

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
“Arthur blinked at the screens and felt he was missing something important. Suddenly he realized what it was.
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?" he asked.”
-Arthur Dent In Douglas Adams; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yes, we like tea, however, don't believe everything you see in those shows ;) For instance little villages in the Hertfordshire / Buckinghamshire countryside, where the fictitious Midsomer is set, do not actually have a murder rate on par with Chicago! lol

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Basic rule of thumb in a survival/disaster situation......if you are capable of getting a brew on then you may as well do so, cos it cant be that bad

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome John Lee, if you like cups of tea instead of drama you might enjoy my Youtube channel, i am always putting the kettle on when other folks might be freaking out, i just had a recent incident when in USA where a 70ft dead birch tree fell and crushed half my camp landing where i had just been sitting 2 mins earlier with my previous cup of tea, an American friend turned up in his canoe just as i was putting the kettle on before sorting it all out, he said i appeared far too calm for what had just happened, how else you gonna make a cup of tea if you are not calm

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
tea is only appropriate at certain times.

birth, death, marriage, morning, mid day, midnight, hot, cold wet or dry

drunk, sober, happy, sad, indifferent or just to have something to dunk your biscuit in.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
+1 :)

I've just made a cup of tea and sat down here to catch up with the modding :D

cheers,
Toddy

I always admired your no drama approach to modding, i knew tea had something to do with it ;)

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
we built am empire with bacon sarneys, brown sauce and lots of tea with milk.
Are bacon sarneys the same as a bacon sandwich? In another favorite BBC program of mine "Keeping up Appearances", Onslow often asks Daisy to get him a bacon sarney. Sadly, I just read that Geoffrey Hughes is dead. Also, is brown sauce similar to steak sauces or is this something I need to find?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The tree forcing me to put the kettle on during my recent trip

IMG_20161020_090413.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Are bacon sarneys the same as a bacon sandwich? In another favorite BBC program of mine "Keeping up Appearances", Onslow often asks Daisy to get him a bacon sarney. Sadly, I just read that Geoffrey Hughes is dead. Also, is brown sauce similar to steak sauces or is this something I need to find?

a bacon sarny is definitely bacon + bread, for me the better the bread and the better the bacon the longer i'll drag out the arrrrr in sarny when asking or taking about one, so a basic bread and supermarket bacon and no brown sauce is just a bacon sarny, proper smoked and cured back bacon served on a a half a stottie cake and drizzled in HP brown sauce is a proper saaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnie

brown sauce hahahaha this tortured my dad when he first moved to usa, the closest thing you all have to a good brown sauce is the A1 Steak Sauce, but imagine it the same consistency as good ketchup

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE