What is this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
May20521.jpg
[/IMG]

Its a chisel, yes, but why the odd shape??

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Looks similar chinese HSS-cabinet chisels on www.dick.biz. They say they are similar to antique european firmer chisels in their paper catalogue. Certainly looks a good age. Also similar in appearance to japanese tapered chisels (Bachi nomi) on the same site.

Joe.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
It is defently not a very weared out trowel. Belew me, I have weared out a fewe in my days and it does not look anything like that... :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a chisel...not a cheese spreader, not a gouge and not a worn down trowel...

I showed it to my retired joiner father and he couldnt say much about it.

His theory was that someone on a site or in a factory had needed a wide chisel in a hurry and gone to the blacksmith who knocked one up.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Its a chisel...not a cheese spreader, not a gouge and not a worn down trowel...

I showed it to my retired joiner father and he couldnt say much about it.

His theory was that someone on a site or in a factory had needed a wide chisel in a hurry and gone to the blacksmith who knocked one up.

File cutter chisels are sort of that shape but shorter and dont have wooden handles because they are blacksmiths tools. It looks knocked up though. The reason they are that shape is to give extra strength to punch lines rather than carve in the way a carpenter would use a chisel. A blacksmith or farrier maybe more helpful in working out how, when and why it was made. I think the tool is very interesting though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE