What is this needle?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
017.jpg

That is a satsuma, not an orange...

I think its sailmakers needle, its got a diamond shaped point, slightly flattened towards the tip.

(but sailmakers needles are triangular, arent they?)

anyone any idea?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a packing needle.

Basically it's used to sew through any kind of canvas or hessian. It can also be used for seagrass because it's not triangular shaped so it won't cut the grass if it's pulled through previous windings.

Sailmakers needles are triangular but the edges aren't sharp.

cheers,
Toddy

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Sailmakers needles are usually triangular in cross section. My guess is some type of upholstery needle. I have a similar needle called a "tufting" needle.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
yes, thats it.

I have another in my workbox.

Any idea for an alternative use for it? Im not going to be sewing sacks much.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're quite good for lacing things like corsets :rolleyes:
They're also good for threading elastic or ribbon through narrow channels.
Not intended for rolling beef joints but they work quite well.
Good for weaving string for giant dreamcatchers too.

Generally they aren't that sharp, you might need to attend to that before you use it to stitch up a bird.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its always interesting the things you turn up in boxes at car boots.

I had my eye on a nice painted silk scarf, which was £1, but I also was allowed those two razors, that bit of lambskin, the needle, a snippet of copper sheet and an awl.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Somewhere I've got something similar that was used for sewing horse collars, or so I was told, not quite the same and huge! They have the makers name stamped on them. On the same stall I got a couple of old brass bull rings, the hinged sort.

ATB

Tom

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got several of those style needles.... some curved, some straight and up to a foot long that belonged to my grandmother. She used them when she was doing the buttons when she did uphostelry.

Alternative uses.... well I guess they could be forged into awls.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can still buy the long ones, they're called mattress needles and they're meant for just what your grandmother used them :)

cheers,
Toddy

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've got a couple of very similar needles that belonged to my Dad, he always called them sack needles, and used them to repair hessian potato sacks, usually with sisal bailer string.

Now, where did I put them?

Dave

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It's a packing needle.

Basically it's used to sew through any kind of canvas or hessian. It can also be used for seagrass because it's not triangular shaped so it won't cut the grass if it's pulled through previous windings.

Sailmakers needles are triangular but the edges aren't sharp.

cheers,
Toddy

We had a few needles like that on the farm for sewing up the huge wool bags that contained the wool we sheared off the sheep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE