What is this beetle?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I found this little dude earlier when I was picking some radishes from my vegetable plot.. but what is he?

The picture shows his 'rhino' esque horn.. and his black glossy beetle body... ;)

Anyway, I thought someone would like the picture and he sure is a cutie! unless he was eating my gosh darn radishes god dammit! :p

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
Yup it is Rhinoceros beetle. Don't worry he wasn't after your radishes, just moving through I suspect. They are mostly nocturnal and feed on tree sap.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon,

I notice you've got it where you want it - on your blade, in case it turns nasty.;)

I had my knife at the ready, just incase those filthy killer of men came along!

And being a wimp I didn't like his claws touching me so I gently scooped him up on me knife and took him indoors for a snap shot. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I had my knife at the ready, just incase those filthy killer of men came along!

And being a wimp I didn't like his claws touching me so I gently scooped him up on me knife and took him indoors for a snap shot. :)

I take it you don't like Badgers? A friend of mine had had an interesting lonely encounter with a Badger on Salisbury Plain back in the 60's whilst armed with a L1A1 - they both ran away.

We're all funny about things, I don't like the thought of cat claws in my knees!

ATB,
GB.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I take it you don't like Badgers? A friend of mine had had an interesting lonely encounter with a Badger on Salisbury Plain back in the 60's whilst armed with a L1A1 - they both ran away.

We're all funny about things, I don't like the thought of cat claws in my knees!

ATB,
GB.

Lol, they are burrow dwelling hell hounds!

They say.. only a silver bullet on a hunters moon can truely kill one! But I doubt even that would spare ones soul if they were mauled by one..

:D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I never stray on a full moon, a wednesday (badger day) or when the blue bells are in flower! You can never be too careful with those clandestine predators of the dark afoot..

This one time, me and a pal were chilling by the camp fire (nothing brokeback mountian going on..) and I could hear the twigs and leaves rusting around us, now knowing there were sightings not long ago I knew it could be my time.

I continued to listen carefully, and the sounds grew nearer.. and nearer. I started to shake, but managed to grab the axe and bravely hide behind my friend.. using him as a human shield/sacrifice as I know badgers like the taste of portugese men more than us English (as it was monday, obviously).

Then the worst thing happened, the fire magically went out! I took control of the situation and while screaming like a girl, quickly dashed up a nearby tree.. with only the smouldering embers giving any light to our impending demise.

How we survived the ordeal is almost unbelievable.. it was like Saint George himself scared the badger away with his mighty sword for the last time! I could here his sword sheath in the passing wind and we quickly made our way back to sanctuary.

Still to this day, I wonder why I'm here.. maybe the final battle is yet to come, and I'm the one to lead the rebelion against their putrid forces..

ahem..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE