What is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Its a bracket fungi, that much I know!
I thought it might be horses hoof, was never certain, but looking at a recent post it isn't :(
I will try and sort some photos soon, but will try with a description in the meantime, it is a bracket type fungi coloured black on top, the best way of describing it is, it looks like tar that has poured over something and solidified.The sides arent as steep as horses hoof.
It has a hard/brittle "shell"on top and the middle seems to look like a paintbrush that has solidified(sort of?).
The sizes that I have found vary from coin size to the size of a side plate.
I have found it growing with a very white underneath recently, the white stuff feels rubbery.
I have lit it with a lighter with no treatment(apart from drying)and it seems to keep an ember well.
Any one got an idea?
I have looked it up and several seem similar but I have found nothing that describes the white bottom covering.
Could this be a parasite growth?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Several of the bracket fungi have similar ignious properties to horse hoof fungi or true tinder fungus. Whatever it is I'm sure it will make good amadou.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE