What is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Was given this recently as a bit of a leaving 'gizzit' from a colleague at work. He's an antipodean and picked it up in his neck of the woods.

Q1 What is it?
Q2 What use could we envision for it out in the wild?

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 135

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
How big is it? Is it heavy?

Looks like a war boomerang (club) made of bone (jaw?) but no idea of scale so difficult to say.

Simon

EDIT:

Just looked up boomerangs and can't find any similar - so scratch that idea.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Would make a reasonable "sickle" like tool for collecting grasses for thatching.
Looks like some sort of bone to me but I've no better idea than that.

stevemreid

Nov 27, 2007
Ayr
reminds me of the serated edges on a shark tooth but its obviously not that. Some sort of jawbone im guessing as well from some nasty fish. Rather strange gift especially if he's not told you what it is!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Never thought to put something down for scale. It's only small about the size of a teaspoon handle.

Attachments

• IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 118

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Never thought to put something down for scale. It's only small about the size of a teaspoon handle.

I'd say it looks like the beak/bill of some kind of filter feeding bird, (just a guess, hard to tell only seeing it from one view)

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Antipodean as in Australian or from New Zealand?
In what kind of area whas it found?
Is it only bone or are the serrations teeth (it doesn't look like real teeth)?
Is it symmetrical? (doesn't look like it)

I first thought of some kind of bony neck plate of a frilled lizard (the one that can raise a collarlike flap of skin to make itself look bigger, it lives in Australia) but can't find any picture of such plates, just one of a skull.

Intriguing find!

Tom

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It's a tiger shark tooth, my friend picked it up from a beach on Timor whilst conductin Ops over there. I think its great and with the serrated edge to the tooth it's cutting potential is obvious, skin, meat etc or a scraper for hides.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
It's a tiger shark tooth, my friend picked it up from a beach on Timor whilst conductin Ops over there. I think its great and with the serrated edge to the tooth it's cutting potential is obvious, skin, meat etc or a scraper for hides.

Good grief are you sure? It's huge. Biggest shark tooth I've ever seen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE