What is best for environmental reasons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I wonder if they sanitized the Tube tunnels from the asbestos dust?

In Stockholm they decided ( after scientific measurements apparently) that it was not needed. The walls are a little bit moist.

I think that one day we will realize how resource wasting modern cars are. Loads of plastics, various metal alloys.
Compare a modern standard car with one made in the 1930’s

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Even if the EV technology becomes viable, there isn't the infrastructure to support it.
We only just have the generation capacity for our current (pun) requirements. Changing over to EV is going to require the mass building of power stations which needs to be starting right now. And unless you are to make a mockey of the whole environmental move to EV, then nuclear is the only viable solution.

Then there is the distribution. The national grid is going to need upgrading for the huge extra charging loads. This will be not just the main supergrid, but coming down to individual house wiring. As many homes still have quite low current feeds.
That needs to start now also. And I don't see many billions of investment being offered.
I suppose 2040 is so far away that it an be put off indefinitly.

After the prohibition on IC engines starts to bite, there will still be a lot of older IC cars on the roads. But I recon the life of these is going to be shorter than they currently are. As fuel availability will become an issue and these IC cars will be pensioned off quicker.

One pot of gold at the end of this particular(pun again) rainbow. The market for used cooking oil, that goes into bio diesel, will disappear. So those who make their own fuel will have a new and cheap supply. And can keep their old cars going for ever.
Well, unless they get legislated away.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They need to design the charging so it can run off a household socket, low Amp. Overnight. Low Amp, long time.
To added need for electricity, if they go ahead with phasing out Fossil fuel, can only be satisfied with nuclear.

We had a politician that promised that Sweden would be Fossil Fuel free in 2020.
That was 18 years ago. So do not worry about the 2040......

Biodiesel is an environmental scam. 50% of the Palm Oil production is used for Bio diesel.....
And we know what those plantations do.

People need to start moving close to where they work. Less need for a car.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That "pot" is/was a chamber pot. Kept under the bed. The "thunder mug."

Low voltage recharge is a joke if you're running a modern 800VCD battery system.
Maybe for an electric scooter/bicycle at home. Popular here, no longer rare at all.

Biodiesel maybe a scam where you come from. Here, it's made from garbage dump juice and used cooking oil.
We've got collection points for the oil. Out village gen set is about 10MW and runs on it.
Obviously, there has to be some thresh-hold of bulk stock supply before real biodiesel is available.

We have little "run-of-the-river" hydroelectric projects, scattered all over the district.
East Twin has been running for decades. Castle river is 5MW. Sure nice when the grid fails.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not low Voltage. In Europe we have 220/240 V.
The design of the batteries and charging has to be for low Ampere.
What is the usual UK Amp on a standard plug, 13 Amps?

You are lucky in Canada to fry so much food you have planty offrying oil, and so much fatty waste you can get the oily dump juices.

Still, does not matter who is burning it, 50% of all Palm Oil is used in Diesel.
And the Palm Oil growing is hugely increasing.
More palm Oil = more palms = Rainforests are cut down.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I lived off grid for over 20 years. Wind generator (marine) domestic solar photovoltaic, and home built water heaters, and a back up Lister startomatic, running off vegetable (recycled) oil. Lighting 12v, and the few 240v units were run via two inverters. Power was stored in series linked submarine 2volt cells. With the exception of the inverters and the wind turbine, everything else was scrounged/gifted. If flowing water is available, generators can be made in the fashion of an outbound motor suspended in the water, with the prop driving a simple alternator. Small units off Kubota diesels are particularly suitable. Marine equipment is good for simple off grid systems as it is built to take a pounding, and survive salt water and it's corrosive properties.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
240 is low voltage when you are using 800 as your operating voltage. So is our 117VAC, of course.
Our dry-frying restaurant process leaves the grease to the less fortunate. Suitable for home use.

I'm burning petroleum-based marked mineral diesel fuel.
I did find the money to buy 6VDC deep cycle batteries to store the juice. I want more of them.

Some people can accept living close to work so they drive less.
Others are prepared to sit in their vehicles for 30-60 minutes each way.
Some sort of life-style philosophy, I suppose.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Buy quality items as local manufactured as you can, and make it last, reducing the constant shipped trash from the far reaches of the globe will have greater effect, and older cars well kept also have a good effect and mostly don't buy into the guilt trip I'm not fully convinced of the story sold to us but I think it is about time we cleaned up are room.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Train journeys on the whole are "hell". Make them pleasant, and they then become a viable alternative to making car journeys.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Modern trains are very pleasant, compared to the old steam trains. Clean, nice toilets, nice seats.=, smooth.
Expensive though.
Of course, you need to keep to the departing schedule.
That is easy.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Yes but cars are great and go places and at times trains don't..........just saying:D

and there lies the problem. Making excuses for the justification of making a car journey. When I gave up the car just over a year ago, all my friends said I'd regret it. I don't, quite the reverse. Of course I've had to make changes, but I'm adaptable. :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
and there lies the problem. Making excuses for the justification of making a car journey. When I gave up the car just over a year ago, all my friends said I'd regret it. I don't, quite the reverse. Of course I've had to make changes, but I'm adaptable. :)
I do not have a work nor a pastime that dose not have a place for the car, personal transport is great and a very solid part of are world, like I said I do not buy into the guilt trip, you want to give it up go ahead I do not see it as the problem that it is sold to be.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A (slight) saving would be not to use a 4 wheel drive, but a 2 wheel drive.

Lighter by some kilos ( every kilo consumes energy when moved around), there is energy sapping friction too.

I can not see a world without personal transport.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Also, people should be encouraged to drive motorbikes. Energy frugal.

Also, Hospitals are in desperate need of donors.
:)
Well when you think of the ambulance blue lighting it with the donor parts, there would be no saving at all., and you can't drive a motorcycle you have to ride it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The saving is when it is ridden before the donation.
Ok,, ride a bike, not drive.
The privilege being a Foreign Devil, not having a 100% correct vocabullary!
In my case, it was more being ridden by the bikes I had the misfortune to own.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Interesting fact about charging evs in the UK. You are not legally allowed to extend your charging cable over the road or even pavement. So you can only charge at proper charging parking spots or if you have a driveway you can charge there. So on our terraced street there's only street parking so EVs can't work well since we can't charge overnigh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE