What is an Army issue "Kipling bag" for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I just spotted this and had never herd of one before. it looks really interesting.

think it is some kind of radio or medics bag but not sure, it also has plce zips and fastex clips so presume it is to be used as a side pouch on a bergen also.

can any one help me out with identifying what its for and if tey are still used by british army today?

P

Pcwizme

its for carrying a kipling, indeed you probibly guessed that, it does seem to be a radio or simular but i cant find out more details. Ill ask my contacts tomorrow

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Wasn't 'Kipling' a sort of user Data terminal thingy for Clansman / Bowman.

Not really into scaley kit myself.. However a bramley apple pie is a different thing all together...:)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
yes it was a data terminal or mini computer thing. :)

I am a Scaley, and did the first trials for it:)

I had to teach my bosses how to use it, and then teach my regiment! after we had a week to figure out how to use it with a basic guide and alot of hitting of keys.

The bag was put together solidly and would be good if you had a small or mini laptop to put in it, but the front part opens out and is held only by velcro. inner pouch was for the printer and the outer one for cables, it used to run on AA batteries, which the army lives off :)

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
yes it was a data terminal or mini computer thing. :)

I am a Scaley, and did the first trials for it:)

I had to teach my bosses how to use it, and then teach my regiment! after we had a week to figure out how to use it with a basic guide and alot of hitting of keys.

The bag was put together solidly and would be good if you had a small or mini laptop to put in it, but the front part opens out and is held only by velcro. inner pouch was for the printer and the outer one for cables, it used to run on AA batteries, which the army lives off :)

Called a Kipling because it was "Ruddy-hard" to learn to use...

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
I was out in Oman just after 9/11. I saw some old shop receipts in the occurrence book and binned them. A little bit later one of the guys was running around asking where the secret signals from Kipling were and getting in a bit of a tiz.

"what do they look like?' I asked..

'Sort of like till receipts' says he.....

Ooops. cue some frantic running around and dving in some bin bags till they were recovered. And that was my introduction to kipling - but why oh why did they use a till printer?!!!

(don't get me on the ruggedised bubblejet printer in a box you could store an elephant in...., and the countryman generators that were guaranteed to catch fire!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE