What is ‘Bushcraft’?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Hello all,

As some of you will know, i’m brand-spanking new to Bushcraft and i’m asking basic questions. This morning, I began to consider the underlying philosophy and wondered where Bushcraft begins and ends.

See video link below.

Without wanting to get into the historical hows and whys of how these people came to be in this situation (See his previous video on this) and while also realising that it’s not an unusual situation for people the World over, I noticed a familiar ‘Hierarchy of needs’ (Maslow) existing at the core of their situation and began to consider their situation as a form of developed Bushcraft. I mean that in the least offensive way as I have strong personal connections with a similar places in India and have done the same sort of thing as he has, which is sort of how I came to find, follow and support this youtuber.

So when does Bushcraft become something else? I consider ‘Bushcraft’, to mean using anything in any given environment to sustain life. Look at the types of shelters, water, food, hygeine, development of essential ideas, fuel, types of fires, terrain, location, layout.... these people have existed without a clean supply of water for several generations and are a testament to the endurance of the human spirit. Their ancestors began with a blank canvas on a piece of land and their idea gradually developed. What would you do differently if you were on this land?

I hope this inspires conversation and for some, a greater understanding of what is possible. I also hope I haven’t fallen foul of any forum rules, as that was not my intention.

Best wishes,

Darryl

Reactions: Le Loup

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Bushcraft is a massively broad spectrum with bushcraft aspects included in everything from Car camping to ultralite long distance hiking from bivying in debris shelters to building a log cabin. Some people don't call it bushcraft, they call it living, so we can add geo-political environment in the mix too. You may need to narrow it down a bit otherwise any response will be so varied as to be pointless. Even narrowing it down to bushcraft in the UK, you will get a massively broad response as we have seen a few times.

Sorry not helped much.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is a perfect emoji gif for this subject.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

After years of reading threads debating the meaning of "bushcraft" I think it must be about the most useless, boring and yet contentious subject it is possible to discuss here. I think there was even one chap who, upon being shown the Venn Diagram presented by Tim Smith that made the most concerted effort to show how "bushcaft" fitted with primitive skills, expedition, survival and historical reenactment, got annoyed because that still didn't match his personal vision.

As a quick run through, to save everyone venting their opinions again, have a look at these threads. Also, take note of how much notice everyone pays to the opinion of others, vs either getting cross, or stating they are just going to do and do their own thing.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/what-is-bushcraft.22046/
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/bushcraft-survival.12630/
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/what-does-bushcraft-mean-to-you.132280/

:goodnight:

Chris

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having a discussion about the meaning of "bushcaft" is about as useful as a debate about what flavours of ice cream everyone likes.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Fine. No big deal. Which flavour ice cream? You’re all right!

Mods you don’t need my consent to delete or lock this thread without explanation if you see fit and a ‘don’t mention the war’ sticky would help us newcomers to avoid such issues :)

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a sprinkling for the May Queen.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Everything has been discussed at least twice over the years.......

Are not new threads with "tarp' or "Lavvu' the most common?

Definitely do not discuss any of this.
Did anyone notice the little girl roasting peanuts on a lattice bamboo construction over a fire (bamboo takes longer to burn) and a lack of matches and wonder how she managed to know that?
What about the handmade woven beds and screens?
How about wondering about how to maintain morale with games and music?
Or dealing with human waste?
Personal cleanliness?
Shelter?

Is this not partly what Bushcraft is about?

Some people cannot see the woods for the trees! :banghead:

Reactions: Janne

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I found the video interesting and informative on several levels. But it struck me that the question should really have been, "What areas of low technology knowledge can be usefully exchanged between bushcrafters and those who live in situations lacking modern technology?"

I have been deliberately removing myself from the world of modern conveniences for various lengths of time over nearly 70 years without bothering to define what I think of as bushcraft: it wasn't even called that when I was young. I revel in the satisfaction and sense of achievement in living simply. But I can choose to return to modern high tech comforts at any time. I have the utmost respect for those who have little choice in the matter, yet who maintain high levels of human dignity and social cohesion. Would I be correct, Darryl of Sussex, that you are seeking common threads of knowledge among those who take an interest in "Bushcraft" , however it is defined, by choice and people who live in circumstances which leave them no choice but to live simply?. It seems to me that we can learn a lot from one another. The issue of clean water is one example.

My suggestion would be to follow up the links suggested by C-claycombe in post #3 then browse under specific forum headings on the home page to get a flavour of members' interests. Meanwhile, study the philosophy behind the work of Ray Mears as well as his overt practical content. Go also to the well-organised web site of Paul Kirtley (paulkirtley.co.uk) who offers clear descriptions and practical advice on the subject. This may help to refine your question in a way that may be more successful in drawing on the collective wisdom of members. You will have gathered from some of the comments in earlier posts that some of us get a little jaded with the same topics cropping up regularly. To see the wood from the trees one often has to get closer and and nearer!

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Indeed, many roads lead to Rome but my question, with reference to the situation in the video vis a vis ‘what is Bushcraft’ and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, stands. Having said that, you read my intention correctly and yes, even more could be gained from asking in different ways. I was briefly reflecting on what I thought Bushcraft was, saw the video and thought i’d think out loud. Thank you for taking the time to add to this discussion in a constructive manner and for adding your thoughtfulness and wisdom.

There is an evolution of ideas and knowledge in this video that bears similarities to how you, for example, have removed (modern) complications over time, in favour of simplification, while maintaining basic needs. I am currently looking for a stove and some gassifiers generate electricity for powering devices via USB. I suspect that somewhere between more complicated and simpler, exists a place where most Bushcrafters eventually find themselves and that’s what interests me at the moment. A more blunt question might have been ‘are these refugees doing , in order to live, what many people pay to learn on Bushcraft courses?’ But i’m digressing to the point of possibly answering my own questions. Sometimes writing thoughts helps clarify them. Lol

Best wishes and thanks,

Darryl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting video, and humbling in some ways too.

However, it misses something crucial; it's not here. It's not having to manage in our climate, with our social issues, from land ownership, lack of access to natural resources, to too many people, or with our concepts of acceptable hygiene and health.

We don't live that life, even those who do mostly live outdoors here, don't live that life.

What bushcraft here does do, is greatly enrich both our lives and our awareness of the reality of the natural world. Most folks in western Europe are becoming divorced from seasonality, from the natural progression of change through the year.
If it's dark, switch on a light. If it's cold turn on the heat. Strawberries at Christmas ? no bother, they'll be in the supermarket.....and it goes on ad infinitum.

I think bushcraft helps keep us grounded :D

M

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Interesting video, and humbling in some ways too.

However, it misses something crucial; it's not here. It's not having to manage in our climate, with our social issues, from land ownership, lack of access to natural resources, to too many people, or with our concepts of acceptable hygiene and health.

We don't live that life, even those who do mostly live outdoors here, don't live that life.

What bushcraft here does do, is greatly enrich both our lives and our awareness of the reality of the natural world. Most folks in western Europe are becoming divorced from seasonality, from the natural progression of change through the year.
If it's dark, switch on a light. If it's cold turn on the heat. Strawberries at Christmas ? no bother, they'll be in the supermarket.....and it goes on ad infinitum.

I think bushcraft helps keep us grounded :D

M

The more time I spend out in ‘our’ relatively safe outdoors, the more I wonder at it’s majesty. My problem is that unless i’m taking the dogs out for a wee at night, I don’t spend time under the stars, among evrything that treats woodland as home. That’s one thing that lead me here this week. I’m trying to create ways for me to live in relative comfort outdoors, so that I can follow and mark the changes. A friend of mine (Peter Owen Jones) is a local vicar (Glynde, Firle etc) and has made a couple of mini series about the geographical, natural and social history of the South Downs. That’s exactly where I’m at, except that I want to stay for a couple of nights. It’s hardly Jim Corbett or Jungle Book/Kim but i’m drawn to it and now have the time to do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE