What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Last weekend at the N.E.S. Bushcraft group I learned how to make a camp loom. I'll be passing on the technique to Scouts.
Way to go N.E.S. Bushcraft.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
That you can transplant all sort of seedlings when thinning veg and salads, just get em in the ground fast and water like mad, bonus food !

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
That if your veg comes from a legitmate source like a farm shop/ market or allotment... You can replant the root part of any type of onion and regrow an entire batch. (just the little tufty bit, really don't need much else at all, supermarket stuff won't work)

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
"the root part" eh? the bit at the bottom of the onion? well I never... that's something to try then, next time I think about it... just the bit that gets cut off anyway? that's enough? The growing season is starting now so...

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I didn't learn this recently and in fact, I'm not sure I've learned anything at all recently. My wife might add "ever." But someone else's suggestion that it only rains on weekends, in so many words, seems to almost be true. It doesn't rain if I have to cut the grass but it will if I plan an outing. At least it does often enough to prove a point. But it doesn't necessarily make for a bad day in the woods.

There will usually be fewer people out and about but you can't count on it, if it matters. But it gives you something to think about. "What should I do differently when it rains?"

You know those statements that say light weight hiking shoes dry fast? Well, they don't. They take a good two days at least. Longer than leather, it seems. Anyhow, I got the bright idea of getting a pair of so-called "surf shoes." They're basically sandals with a closed toe with a bungee cord fastening. I figured as long as your feet are going to get wet, you might as well wear shoes made for it. I did get a pair but never got around to using them under those conditions. So I guess I haven't learned anything yet.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just learned loads about apples. I went to an apple festival last weekend, and today to an apple identification day as a member of the Marcher Apple Network. I also learned that I have absolutely masses to learn. Finally I learned that one of the apples in my orchard is a blenheim Orange, which is good because it is my favourite eating variety.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That when you fry Cobb nuts in ghee they look spectacular - and taste yum too!

IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

They were getting chopped up to go on this, Beetroot Za'atar - which is blooming lovely.
IMG_0246.JPG

Reactions: TeeDee

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That you can charge a flat car battery with a chainsaw!

[video=youtube;6vroaQjGCkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vroaQjGCkc[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That you can charge a flat car battery with a chainsaw!

Not a situation that many of us would encounter but it does show ingenuity.

If I could find a thumbs up smiley I would give one to this post :)

rorymax
Cheers Rory, it tickled me that. (One of the jokes we used to play on young new cutters was to convince them that they weren't a proper chainsaw operator 'till they could push-start a chainsaw!:lmao: That was worth watching.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Wranglerstar is the man! That's a great trick to know; imagine how many brownie points you'd earn if you came up with that one in the right situation :)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Whilst rummaging around YouTube discovered that the chemical compund (Sodium Acetate) that makes re-useable gel handwarmers work
is also used to create instant cold packs and the chilling reaction can be similarly reset countless times in the field, no special hardware or top-up
chemicals required just plain ordinary water.
[video=youtube_share;MVIoqBZRVRU]http://youtu.be/MVIoqBZRVRU[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That if you place a sugar or salt cube in the container with your cheese that it helps prevent it forming mould. The sugar/salt absorbs enough moisture to keep it dry enough to allow mould to grow on the cheese surface.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I learned not to hurry with my head in a phone... = broken foot! :(
Much better now and finaly got to walk in a normal trainer today. :)
Stupid thing is I always moan about others doing it and I honestly have never done it before.
Still I count myself lucky as it was only metatarsals not an ankle.
Lesson well and truly learned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE