What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds daft but a drop of oil stops door hinges squeaking immediately. Even works on old painted and rusty examples.
I have put up with them squealing for an age and never through to use one of my several types of oil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sounds daft but a drop of oil stops door hinges squeaking immediately. Even works on old painted and rusty examples.
I have put up with them squealing for an age and never through to use one of my several types of oil.

Better than oil - and cleaner - is a drop of washing up detergent!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The thing that I learned recently is that trees really do have a calming and soothing effect on me!
I have had a holiday on Orkney where trees are few and far between but we visited a small wood - a tourist attraction in its own right - called Happy Valley.
Although it is only about 150m X 50m you can see nothing but trees (mainly sycamore) but it was as tranquil and beautiful a place as I have ever been. Those Dryads really do soothe the furrowed brow!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That when the labelling on a package of diapers sys, "10-15 pounds" take them at their word; that's really all they'll hold.

Jun 15, 2013
London
Share....or we dont believe you :)

Ok I can understand ... I learned it from a website [DARIA'S DELISH DISH] . Its a cooking blog and the name of dish is "Cauliflower and Taro Root Ayurvedic Soup". You can check it out. If you need recipes ingredients and instruction then you'll get from website :D

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that if we leave our buddleia alone until early spring before pruning (as opposed to late autumn), then it will flower later and give the butterflies something to visit after most things are finished.

We haven't put that into practice yet but we will.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Using charred punkwood as tinder for a flint and steel. My first attempt failed because the wood was still too solid but the stuff I am trying now is like expanded polystyrene. After charring lumps of it in a gas flame and snuffing them in an airtight tin, they catch sparks from the steel and glow like little barbecue coals. Teased out jute twine pressed against the coals and blown onto catches fire in seconds. Put the lid back on the tin to re-snuff the tinder. I have sparked it up a dozen or more times and the amount of tinder does not seem to have reduced at all. It is very easy and yet pleasingly old fashioned.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That I haven't broken my foot after all, as I believed. Yaaay! :)
But I do have ligament damage which will take just as long to heal, and hurts just as much. :(
But I get to be signed off work for a week. :D
But I have to rest so can't go out and do stuff this weekend. :cussing:

Looks like I will be learning more about spoon carving then... :cool:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned two things last night:

1.My cunning plan of wrapping my elder drill with soft grip tape makes a world of difference to a novice hand driller. I got smoke and good dark brown sticky dust on my first attempt.

2.I need to develop the shoulder and forearm stamina to get that dark brown dust to the ignition temperature. Just when I needed the extra power I ran out of strength.

That said, the whole dust/smoke thing was a massive improvement on my efforts up to now. I now know my set is good; the rest is down to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE