What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I learned not to get my eldest to model homemade socks, as they've been commandeering for snowy weather motorcycling... which is ok as they were supposed to be size 10s and have ended up nearer 13s ;)

Am very proud of them! I didn't get piccies of the first pair I made :)
73753_10200310379936578_565779673_n.jpg

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I learnt to bloody well take my camera if I know ill be going for a walk. I saw so much "i want to know what that is" yesterday, and I'd learn a lot quicker if I could just ask everybody on here with a nice picture :p

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I learnt to bloody well take my camera if I know ill be going for a walk. I saw so much "i want to know what that is" yesterday, and I'd learn a lot quicker if I could just ask everybody on here with a nice picture :p

Don't take a camera, you'll see nothing at all. That's just the way it works.;)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that wood finishing oil is waaaaaaay thinner than tung oil and therefore makes a mess if you aren't careful in pouring it...

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Today I learnt how to fire...................................:rolleyes: I mean shoot a longbow.

I've also found it can hurt, and when it goes well the arrows fly for miles:eek:

This week I have found I was using the wrong arm last week. And I still can't manage to keep my elbow up.

But I did manage to hit something other than the ground:eek:

529512_433256223431471_2142589968_n.jpg

Not bad as I've only been doing this for 2 weeks.....................................................................

The depressing thing was, I wasn't actually aiming for it. I was aiming for the targets by the legs in the upper left:rolleyes:

I learned not long ago not to use cheap rucksacks.
I use a Karrimor Sabre now due to an old highlander's straps falling away from the pack.

Believe me trying to carry everything you take under your arm back to your house/car is not fun at all.

Now I have learned that the rucksack is one of the most important pieces of equipment.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
When purchasing second hand from ANY forum and the seller doesn't show a photo of the item, don't rely on a sellers written description alone, regardless of who they are or their good standing in the community, insist on seeing a photo of the exact item you are interested in, as sometimes, what you think you are receiving and what you actually receive are totally different, and the goods bear absolutely no relation to the description, your and the sellers opinion of "Good Condition" can differ wildly.
:cussing::cussing::cussing:

Biker

Hmmm not so good Kepis. Hope it gets sorted somehow.

I've learned today that tension of a sewing machine's thread is a fickle thing, but after the thread broke 20 times in a row after less than than 3 seconds usage, I discovered that I got really REALLY good at threading the needle again. Finally gave up the job of using the sewing machine and went into the kitchen and treated myself to a damned good cry... think using the sewing machine brought a little too much of my feminine side out. :lmao:

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

I've learned today that tension of a sewing machine's thread is a fickle thing, but after the thread broke 20 times in a row after less than than 3 seconds usage, I discovered that I got really REALLY good at threading the needle again. Finally gave up the job of using the sewing machine and went into the kitchen and treated myself to a damned good cry... I think using the sewing machine brought a little too much of my feminine side out. :lmao:

Somehow I see that experience morphing into a drawing sometime soon...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes:

When the sewing machine is playing silly beggars. Stop. Unthread it, clean the oose out of the bobbin case, etc., oil everything and go and do something else for an hour or so.
Go back to it and clean off all the greasy bits, change the needle, thread up and it'll sing like a sweetie :D

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

I've learned today that tension of a sewing machine's thread is a fickle thing, but after the thread broke 20 times in a row after less than than 3 seconds usage, I discovered that I got really REALLY good at threading the needle again. Finally gave up the job of using the sewing machine and went into the kitchen and treated myself to a damned good cry... I think using the sewing machine brought a little too much of my feminine side out. :lmao:

Thankfully it wasn't a lot of money and i cant be bothered to argue it with the chap any longer, still, once burned.......

Know what you mean on the machine, i had a similar thing on my 1927 Frister & Rossman machine, drove me nuts, then i realised i had the bobbin in backwards:togo:

Biker

Everything's fine with the machine, it's clean and tidy inside and out, it's the 2 pieces of 1.5mm leather I'm trying to sew together, despite the needle for leather I fitted. I tried it on a piece of fabric and the machine worked perfectly, so I'm guessing I'm just asking too much of it.

Thanks for the advice folks, feeling a lot better now but the mascara runs make me look like a panda.

:yikes: oh crap! Did I type that last bit out loud?

:rofl:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Everything's fine with the machine, it's clean and tidy inside and out, it's the 2 pieces of 1.5mm leather I'm trying to sew together, despite the needle for leather I fitted. I tried it on a piece of fabric and the machine worked perfectly, so I'm guessing I'm just asking too much of it.

Have you tried turning the machine by hand, and not using the power at all? It's slow but you end up with a neat machined finish.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
........or try a denim/jeans needle. Big hefty thing. I know it's not meant for leather, but it works on my machines.
Sometimes you really just need a treadle.

atb,
M........oh and see the waterproof mascara ? it's a disaster to try to get off before bedtime :eek:

Biker

Have you tried turning the machine by hand, and not using the power at all? It's slow but you end up with a neat machined finish.

No I hadn't. I've sort of given up for the day/night now, but I'll probably get back to it again tomorrow. I'm not in any crushing rush to finish this, so slow and steady is fine. Thanks for the top tip buddy.

........or try a denim/jeans needle. Big hefty thing. I know it's not meant for leather, but it works on my machines.
Sometimes you really just need a treadle.

atb,
M........oh and see the waterproof mascara ? it's a disaster to try to get off before bedtime :eek:

Not sure what a denim needle would look like, the leather ones don't appear to be any different from the regular ones at a glance. I hear you about the treadle machine, saw one at a bootfair last weekend too and I know the seller, so I might wander round his place and ask what he wants for it. Thanks for the ALL advice Mary :eek: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE