What have you done for the Environment Today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Nice, Have you looked at shaving cream/soap with brushes? I moved to safety razors mostly due to cost and then I had a look around the bathroom and there are all sorts of propellants in deodorants and tinned shaving gel. Plus it becomes a bit of a nightly ritual having a proper shave with razor and brush.
Yes. I’m using up the shaving gel that is in a plastic tube and will order a brush and soap. I think allowing time to shave is the key to getting it done without any nicks and cuts. This afternoon I was much quicker and more confident.
I have also stopped using shower gel and hand wash in dispensers and use a bar of soap to save on plastic etc.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've started building a new road. Doesn't sound too green but when it's completed allows us to reduce our logistics runs by about 39% and reduce our carbon emissions by 160 tons a year.

Details please? I'm assuming this isn't a Solo effort?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On a day to day basis I'm trying to make a conscious effort to consume only food with little to no packaging. Which I tend to see as the biggest annoyance.

And to be clear I'm not what I would class myself as a major 'greeney' - not that i'm overly opposed to that.

I just try to think now when buying food especially when it comes to its packaging - what relationship do i want with this? because as soon as I purchase it - its mine - my responsibility.

So I tend to just eat fresh fruit , boiled eggs, grilled chicken breasts for lunch - nice , simple and NO PACKAGING.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
On a day to day basis I'm trying to make a conscious effort to consume only food with little to no packaging. Which I tend to see as the biggest annoyance.

And to be clear I'm not what I would class myself as a major 'greeney' - not that i'm overly opposed to that.

I just try to think now when buying food especially when it comes to its packaging - what relationship do i want with this? because as soon as I purchase it - its mine - my responsibility.

So I tend to just eat fresh fruit , boiled eggs, grilled chicken breasts for lunch - nice , simple and NO PACKAGING.
I’ve started making a batch healthy flapjack/cereal bars and energy balls each week. No packaging and less rubbish ingredients.

Reactions: TeeDee

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Details please? I'm assuming this isn't a Solo effort?
Oh lord no, It's a project that has been looked at time and time again but the company kept finding hurdles, I picked it us as project manager and got rid of the hurdles to allow us to crack on and get it done. We're quite a small company when it comes to big projects like this so there's a lot of hats to wear.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I pulled up quite a lot of Himalayan Balsam at the weekend.
Then I came across this article. Which has made me question the eco-validity of such an action.
At the risk of swerving the original post topic. Perhaps it's a debate for another thread?

Reactions: JonathanD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm lucky to see 17mpg with the 454 in the GMC Suburban.
It's perfect for village traffic. I drove around to do some errands and shopping
for the first time in 4 days.

The village is 3 minutes wide and about 6 minutes long at school zone speed 30 kph so there's very little rush. That's a cool aspect of retirement = don't need a "daily driver" so any vehicle will do very well.

Honestly, I can't tell you when the last time was that I bought gas for the pig.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Managed to push a change of packaging at work from category 7 plastic (classed as recyclable but not really recycled in the UK currently) to a new paper based alternative that can be composted, or recycled with paper and it's totally plastic free.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Managed to push a change of packaging at work from category 7 plastic (classed as recyclable but not really recycled in the UK currently) to a new paper based alternative that can be composted, or recycled with paper and it's totally plastic free.

Thats an amazing and very thoughtful act - well done!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
It's what needs to be done mate, it wasn't too hard to be honest we were getting pressure from social media and the like, seems everyone is taking environmental issues much more seriously now which is fantastic to see, we are just lacking the products available to make the right changes at the mo but it is happening.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's absolutely correct. I don't "drive around" just for the sake of getting out of the house. Might not go anywhere for 2-3 days at a time.

Last time out was to the Transfer Station. That place has bins for most sorted recycle stuff. Begin with the cardboard crusher. Then mucky garbage-garbage. Then iron metals, then aluminum, then wood construction and renno scrap.
Around the circle to tires, and kitchen appliances, batteries, propane tanks and used oil. Went past the paper and glass bins.
So you sort and pack your vehicle in reverse order, drive in a circle and it's a done deal.

Commercial volumes of waste have to pay a dump fee. The rest of it, we all know they are making money off most of the piles.

And it's free! Nobody dumps their crap out in the country, it's too far to go. This has been a brilliant way to keep our entire district neat and tidy. Most villages 40-100km apart have a Transfer Station.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE