What have you done for the Environment Today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My current project involves establishing native wild flowers in a small orchard. I've started with a small area with the idea to let it spread over time both naturally and by redistributing seed by hand. There was a decent patch of yellow rattle last year which I hope will return this year and help control the grass.

While looking for burdock to harvest a few years ago I decided that it was unfair to dig up the handful that I found and effectively wipe out the local population so I took some seed and have been cultivating that too. There are rarer plants that I'd like to help along but don't want to take their seed from the wild, especially if I'm not confident that I know how to grow it.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My current project involves establishing native wild flowers in a small orchard. I've started with a small area with the idea to let it spread over time both naturally and by redistributing seed by hand. There was a decent patch of yellow rattle last year which I hope will return this year and help control the grass.

While looking for burdock to harvest a few years ago I decided that it was unfair to dig up the handful that I found and effectively wipe out the local population so I took some seed and have been cultivating that too. There are rarer plants that I'd like to help along but don't want to take their seed from the wild, especially if I'm not confident that I know how to grow it.

Well done.

Reactions: Kadushu

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Moved about 20 toads from the canal towpath (hopefully to the side they were trying to get to- I assumed the way they were facing was the way they were planning on going!) So hopefully avoiding a few trampled ones from the runners and cyclists.

• Love
Reactions: Kadushu and TeeDee

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been working hard to reduce my waste. Now I'm only putting my main bin out every other collection, (once every six weeks) and the amount of other waste in the recycling bins this week, consists of two tins , two glass gu pudding containers, one plastic bottle that was collected from the footpath, and a few envelopes and some junk mail which I still get, despite registering not to receive any.
Hardly worth putting it out!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Commuted by train again thus avoiding the use of our campervan. Also, walked from the station to work. Would have ridden by but a pothole and broke my arm. I also cut down a few trees in our new garden. Probably not environmentally good but I intend to replace them with pollinators and a lower level plant growth to let light into parts of our garden. It might even improve light falling on our solar panels.

On a minor point I told someone off for saying he was going to throw away a plastic face shield just because it b dropped into a puddle. It's a very, very minor thing but if you really must use plastic for anything then you should make it last as long as you possibly can. I personally confronted to struggle with cotton facemasks and glasses fogging up rather than use plastic face shield or plastic face masks. I still think if enough people do the little things a real difference can be achieved. Ants and termites are tiny but together they achieve amazing. Be the ant by doing your small bit.

Waffle over. More waffle than an American diner!!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
In my misspent youth I crewed for Sea Shepherd and bought the sleeping bag Julia Butterfly slept in during her Luna treesit ( she got famous and stopped returning my letters LOL) I refused to sign off on a CALTRANS project as staff archaeologist ( California Transportation Department- responsible for maintaining and building new roadways) and then Gov Ronnie Raygun had me fired. Later, as an independent contractor I was on the team clearing his future presidential Library location ( right where I grew up) and damn, if somebody s didn't salt a fake site and held up construction for 3 months.
Lately I just reduce consumerism to a minimum and buy possessions that last, WALK all over, plant flowers for bees, endangered butterflies and haul acorns from our 4 annual crops,salt blocks and maintain a livestock watering trough up in the undeveloped hills for our wildlife. I still have my FIELD GUIDE TO MONKEYWRENCHING 3rd edition ;o)

Reactions: TeeDee

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Commuted by train again thus avoiding the use of our campervan. Also, walked from the station to work. Would have ridden by but a pothole and broke my arm. I also cut down a few trees in our new garden. Probably not environmentally good but I intend to replace them with pollinators and a lower level plant growth to let light into parts of our garden. It might even improve light falling on our solar panels.

On a minor point I told someone off for saying he was going to throw away a plastic face shield just because it b dropped into a puddle. It's a very, very minor thing but if you really must use plastic for anything then you should make it last as long as you possibly can. I personally confronted to struggle with cotton facemasks and glasses fogging up rather than use plastic face shield or plastic face masks. I still think if enough people do the little things a real difference can be achieved. Ants and termites are tiny but together they achieve amazing. Be the ant by doing your small bit.

Waffle over. More waffle than an American diner!!

Exactly right, we don’t need a small number of people to be perfect. We need a huge number to just do better to make a difference.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Picked up and put into bin bags enough cans to open a shop and sorted out a fireplace scar in a bit of woodland near me. It actualy is the back garden of a large estate, and I met the landowner yesterday and offered to clean it up for her. She was very pleased, as she has a huge problem with teens on the housing estate lighting fires and drinking themselves silly on her land.
How would they react if I went into their back gardens and did that? Bet they wouldn't be happy!
So the woodland now looks pristine, no sign of the fireplace, and a happy landowner saved a thankless job.
I've also planted some sunflower seeds this year so hopefully the birds will have a winter larder.
My sweet chestnut trees are showing their noses in their pot, so hopefully in a few years time there will be sweet chestnuts for the next generation of foragers. Just have to find the perfect place to plant them next winter. One is going to a friends land, but still got two others to find a home for.
Need to grow more trees to replace the ones cut down last week at the bottom of my road...they were my larder, hazel nut, damson and elder. Grrr!

Reactions: Kadushu

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I broke up a rave in the woods behind my house lastnight, And popped up there this morning and the weird stuff I picked up and binned wow rave's weren't like that in my day let alone people bringing there own chairs.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have been appointed the local Tree Warden for my community.

Just watching the following which is exceptionally interesting. I would suggest everyone watch if you can.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Have been appointed the local Tree Warden for my community.

Just watching the following which is exceptionally interesting. I would suggest everyone watch if you can.

What is the title? I don’t have a Netflix account.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thank you but I think I’ll give that a miss. Lots of blurb but a bit light on actual science.

So , you've not watched it but are happy to make a decision based upon what you don't know about the actual film.

Ok!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE