What has Tengu found Today?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bike, you can never have too many 111's :) The straight 111 kerosene burner is my favourite, its just so reliable. I've left one in my back garden for over a year now, lid open, exposed to the weather, and it still lights first time for an al fresco brew. I've got a couple of 111B's which are dedicated petrol/coleman stoves, and a few of the 111T's silent burner multifuel, which are again fantastic. Keep an eye out for an Optimus 199 Ranger stove, its the same as the small 8R but is fitted with a 111 silent burner:eek: :eek: :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I find that anything that is that reliable has got to be worth the investment. I saw something similar to the stove in this thread on the Blizzard: Race to the Pole series with Bruce Parry. It was archive footage of Scott and his men in the tent, and one of these stoves was being primed ready for use. I think it had four arms instead of three though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I find that anything that is that reliable has got to be worth the investment. I saw something similar to the stove in this thread on the Blizzard: Race to the Pole series with Bruce Parry. It was archive footage of Scott and his men in the tent, and one of these stoves was being primed ready for use. I think it had four arms instead of three though.

Last year I contacted the British Antarctic Survey and asked them what stove they used on field trips (yes I know, I'm a sad g*t), and it turns out they still use paraffin stoves, to be precise, Optimus 45's, a typical three legged brass burner. The reason they use them? Very reliable, great heat output, if needed, are easy to maintain in the field. They stopped making those stoves about 30 years ago. The Australian's still use the 111. Just look at the maintenance kits for these old stoves, maybe 4 or 5 bits, look at something like a Nova/Omnifuel, or worse still and MSR:eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Here you go!

stove.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great screen cap my man:)

It was, by the looks of it, product placement, YES, even back then it happened. Scott, like Shackleton and others, relied on sponsors and agreed to have the photo's taken, products mentioned in books etc.

Lots of Scotts photo's show things like Heinz ketchup, Coleman's mustard, Fry's cocoa, Huntley andPalmer Biscuits etc.

To be honest, the men in suits were in charge even back then:rolleyes:

Modern shots of stuff left behind

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for all the information on this folks; I've got two of these little stoves sitting in a dusty corner of one of the sheds, you've given me a notion to go and sort them out. :D

cheers,
Toddy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Don't forget to post pics Toddy :)

Due to running out of calor gas for my cooker a fortnight ago, and not having time to sort out replacement cylinders, i've been doing all my cooking on camping stoves lately - including the little picnic stove in the write-up, and a recently acquired veritas model.

the neighbours must think i'm mad sat outside having a fry up in the dark :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT has just minded me that one of the little ones has a leak in the seam at the bottom. Can this be repaired? and if so, how?

cheers,
Toddy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
HWMBLT has just minded me that one of the little ones has a leak in the seam at the bottom. Can this be repaired? and if so, how?

cheers,
Toddy

I should think it could be hard soldered, or brazed, but it's been years since i did that sort of stuff at college. I bet Rik would know the answer (or know a man who does :rolleyes: ) - Might be worth a poke around on spritburner.com.

If you want to be really rough, there's always JB-weld :yuck:

seems there's a few potential 'stovies' round this site, doesn't it? :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
........seems there's a few potential 'stovies' round this site, doesn't it? :D

Yeah, but I have to confess, I *really* , *really* like my little Catalytic stove......easy to operate, no smell, no problems with wind, no need to clean out soot, easily obtainable fuel...... :rolleyes:

Doesn't have that evocative smell of warmth form burning paraffin though :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Solder works just fine for small seam leaks. Make sure you empty, flush and dry it before applying heat though. Also scour the area to be soldered with wire wool before hand.

Incidentally, if you find it inconvenient carrying meths to prime either the stove or even a Tilly lamp, crushed hexy blocks (esbit tablets) work just as well for priming and are easier to carry.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE