What grind for a Bill Hook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2015
Northumberland
Hi, first post so hope it does not come over too stupid. I own a Ewell Bill Hook and the edge has not been looked after very well. It looks as though the edge is convex not sure if this was like this when new or just ended up like this through bad sharpening technique.
So can anyone suggest the best type of grind I need to improve the tool?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What do you want to use it for? I have both of mine convex, gives a strong edge and I don't find the need to sharpen much, just tickle it up now and then; IMHO, changing the grind won't improve the tool unless you have some specific purpose for it that would require the change and I can't think of one :)

Oh yes, and there are no stupid questions, what'd be stupid would be not to ask at all; we're always asking questions of each other here, that's how you learn and it's never finished!

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too like a convex for most work with a bill hook (or a reduced shouldered scandi with secondary bevel... a poorly radius-ed convex?) - I usually tickle the edge up with a butchers steel after heavy use and keep it paper slicing sharp.
At the Care Farm I work at the bill hooks all seem to be maintained to retain a saw edge with nice rounded edges between the blunt "teeth" ... the edge is cared for by smashing them through the nails in the pallets that are chopped for kindling and/or using H girders as chopping blocks.
The staff need as much training as the participants when it comes for tool maintenance... :)
I spent a whole day fettling the billhooks and hatchets, took one bill hook home to make a new handle (the half tang had been smashed through the hickory by someone using the back of the blade as a hammer - the pin through the ferrule had made a great pivot...) hours of work that could have been avoided with a bit of common sense from staff... :)
Not all folk understand tools... no matter how good they are as care and support work :)

Jan 18, 2015
Northumberland
Cheers for the positive replays. Yes good point, the Bill Hook is used most days for general clearance of rough undergrowth to produce small walkways in mature woodland and trimming of shrub species like Hawthorn etc. Must say the sharper it is the easier the work. How then do you create the convex grind I'm assuming on a wheel like a Tormeck?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Initially I sharpen the edge with various grades of wet and dry paper on mousemat using an "Aggressive stropping" action - once the shape is right I keep it by stropping and/or a quick swipe with a butchers steel...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use a cigar or canoe stone for my hooks, just like my old Dad did for his scythes. When I bought a new billhook 10 or so years ago I put a razor edge on it with a DC4, but found that it wasn't robust enough and damaged very easily.

As for obtaining the stones I stumble across them at car boot sales usually when I'm not looking for them.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE