What fur and where from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I am jumping on the Swedish smock bandwagon and want to add a fur ruff to the hood. I can only find rabbit for sale in my cursory search, would this be "furry" enough to use on a hood? If not where would be a good place to buy a decent bit of fur from?

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
There was a tannery "Oop North" (I think in the North east) that had a whole range for sale(Rabbit, Fox, Sheep......., I'll check and get back to you.

Hve you checked charity shops? The last time I was in one they had a stole for around a fiver. Cheeper than ordering from the net with postage etc.

Edit:List of British Fur retailers. http://www.britishfur.co.uk/images/uploads/OA__retailers_list.pdf

And I've gotta say Minx, because I hate the little gits.

Last edited:

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Thanks for that link, very useful. I am leaning towards Mink too, the little darlings have no right being here in the first place!!

Last edited:

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Looks promising, their "Very large Natural Beaver" might be a bit too much though! I got in trouble last time I clicked on a link that said that at work...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just found this

The prices don't seem too bad, not sure if they ship here though. I'm looking for a fur to do exactly the same thing to my parka.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Other than that have a wee look on ebay - I've see a few furs go on there recently for relatively cheap!

I'm after a few furs myself, but I missed the cheap ones! :(

Andy

Last edited:
Interesting links....just waiting on work to ban the website now (they don't seem to like anything to do with sharps and game/killing/hunting etc). :)
Those coyote backs look real nice and would make a nice ruff...
The buffalo hides look great...... if I had the money for them.

What are the rules on shipping fur into the UK?

How good is beaver compared to sealskin for waterproofing?

Last edited:

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I was under the impression that its not do able, but only from certain contries(I know china is a no no). I think its down to the pest controls, but I'm not sure.

EU is probably ok, same for US/ Canada and Auz/NZ, but dont quote me.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for that link, very useful. I am leaning towards Mink too, the little darlings have no right being here in the first place!!

cheers mate.

Yeah I agree - nice fur on them too.

I've got a dark brown rabbit ushanka I had shipped over from the Ukraine. Really nice fur and SO warm.

That is an option actually - if you are willing to do a bit of chopping?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-R...ing_LE&var=&hash=item7218258acc#ht_1169wt_952

I definitely didn't pay as much as that and it was from the Ukraine but you get the idea.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you are importing furs you need cites certificates for many of them. Beaver for instance, bear's another......and make sure you ask for it if you are likely to be working with children and need clearances.

Lots of folks selling fur in the UK.
There's a re-enactors market the next weekend but one, near Coventry, for £4 entrance it's well worth a good ramble through.
Decorum started, and has kept it updated, a thread about the markets :)

Mod hat on...........please remember that this is a family safe forum, suitable for all ages and acceptable reading in schools, etc.,
Your help to keep it that way would be much appreciated. Thanks to those who realised and self edited :)

cheers,
Toddy

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
More research is in order I think. Is it that hard to sew pieces of fur together if I need to?Toddy - Apologies for the language, I do try to moderate myself but that one slipped through the net. Its unfortunately a bit of a habit after 13 years working in construction I am afraid.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Why not tann your own rabits. Just save the skins from trapping/lamping(or ask someone that does) rub in 50/50 none tablesalt & Alum, leave for a few weeks, then rub in lard & flour. I've asked a friend to get full instructions for me, if your interested I can forward them when I get them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE