What Fungi is this? any ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi folks, Just come back from a night out in the woods. Upon my return I spotted this bracket fungus on an old Oak tree.
I have looked in my food for free book and its not in there, so guessing its not edible.
Just wondered if anyone knew what it is and if it has any uses.
cheers
IMG-20130803-00168_zps16d20933.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-20130803-00167_zpse890cd82.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-20130803-00162_zps770fb22a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
See something in the back of my mind was telling me that it was! but because I couldnt find it in Food for free book I thought I must be wrong ah well its only half mile away I'll go back up and get some thanks Toddy

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
before I go taking any, is there any way of keeping the fungi alive ? I mean if I harvest some now will there be more next year ? or does it only fruit once, as you can see mushrooms are not my strongest subject :), it says it can be dried so am more than willing to share it :)

Reactions: Toddy
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
before I go taking any, is there any way of keeping the fungi alive ? I mean if I harvest some now will there be more next year ?

What you see of fungi are the 'fruiting bodies'.....the main part is a net work of mycelium (basically roots) which are inbeded in the substrate........so even if you take it all it should fruit again but since you're a reasonable chap, you'll only be taking your share :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a lot of eating in CotW. Think of it like meat, you'd not eat more than a steak's worth for dinner. I really like it, but it gives me hellish wind; I end up burping like a baby :eek: :eek:
Mind where it grows 'cos on a tree that size it'll most likely fruit again.

I think of it as a seasonal thing to be enjoyed when it's at it's best.

Recipes ? anyone ? HWMBLT says he's seen some in our local woods too :)

cheers,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've always treated this exactly like meat in the cooking; fry quite hot with sesame oil, garlic, pepper and whatever else you have/like..............also nice wiped with a bit of flavoured oil and over the fire on a bit of mesh.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE