What fungi are out where you are?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I'm curious to know what stuff is out elsewhere, especially down south, only I was out on wimbledon common looking for about three hours this morning and there was nothing. Not even a sign of a st George's or chicken of the woods. The ground was incredibly dry everywhere and we are clearly in need of a good drop of rain to get things going.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've spotted a couple of St George's (couldn't nab them as they were on someones lawn :rolleyes: ). Not much else really.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
found st georges and chicken of the woods both at dawyck botanic garden in the borders on friday

i would head into the woods and have a look for some of the woodland mushrooms

isnt it the right time for morels ? i have never spotted them yet

Tant

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I haven't seen anything yet and it's getting very frustrating, especially considering how many St. Georges I got last year (I was liing somewhere else)

The one fungi I know where grows round here is Blewit, but that won't be around for a while.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I've had st Georces and Chicken in the woods, the site for morels that I knew has been built on recently so I'm looking for a similar location to try. It doesn't help that the grass in a few places I know has been mown, nothing more heartbreaking than seeing newly mown grass scattered with the remains of delicious food except when someone builds on the site, then there's no chance.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Morels are over here, along with 'Mousseron' or St Georges Mushrooms (Calocybe gambosa) :( But the'Girolle' or Chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) will be around soon enough in woodlands, hiding under the leaves usually ;)

I visited a local wood at the weekend where I picked Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus). I have posted some photos and description etc. on this thread:

Oyster Mushrooms

If you have not spotted the thread in the 'Flora & Fauna' section, there is a great online guide for mushrooms here:

Roger Phillips - Mushrooms

More detailed write up can be found here

happy & safe foraging :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Marts said:
Moonraker said:
Oyster Mushrooms
there is a great online guide for mushrooms here:

Roger Phillips - Mushrooms

Moonraker, I don't know if it's just me but I couldn't use the link to rogers mushrooms. It all seems correct but won't find it :confused: Annoying because if it's as good as his books I want access!

Great write up on the morels BTW
Tested and working when I posted and just now too Marts. Weird. You used to have to pay but it is free access now and has all the info and photos of the book but more :)

Try to cut and paste the direct url:

www.rogersmushrooms.com

or the main site with links to this and also one on Roses, others to follow it says but not sure if that is still going to happen as it lost money as a business. In a reply to a message, Roger Phillips says it will become a registered charity next year to keep it going which is good news.

http://www.rogersplants.com

Hope that helps

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It's working now :rolleyes: No doubt my browser playing up!
Oh no...and there I was planning on going out instead of looking at websites!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE