What food would you take with you on a 2 day hike? No food pakets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Gripper

I'd 2nd the cous-cous. Always have some homemade Roo jerky and some bannock pre mixed and just needing some water mixed in. Kidney beans are a good one and I have been making some pretty good curries from chunky veg soup with instant mash and indian spices added. We also have some great soup mixes down here made by Trident foods that tast fantastic and just need water adding - perfect for my snowpeak 700, trangia clikstand combo.

Mark

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Thread starter said no packets
Yet nearly everyone has gone for some kind of containerised or pre-prepared food.
Packets, tins, etc. even pasta's prepared by someone else from flour.
Don't know what cous cous is made from but I bet there isn't a cous cous tree (indigenous to the UK at any rate).
Me I like Oatso-simples for breakfast and pasta-n-sauce for supper; containerised sure but burnable packets and for lunch potato farls(cos they don't mush up like sarnies) containing bananas and plain crisps.
I mainly like these because my wife will not let me eat such crap in the house :)

a hidden bonus with the plain crisps is that if you get the original style Walkers as opposed to the new healthier ones they make brilliant firelighters even when damp.
Hula hoops taste OK but are pants at burning.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oatcakes
Home made muesli bars
Bag of home made dried stock/herbs; salt/oregano/sage/lovage/dill/f.l.parsley/mushrooms/ etc.,
Pre-steamed and dried barley.
Dried fruits
Hazelnuts & almonds & sunflower seeds
Cheddar cheese or maybe caerphilly or a white stilton
dried herbs for tea; spearmint, chamomile......

Breakfast; tea and muesli bars
Elevenses; fruit & oatcakes & cheese
Dinner; Savoury barley with any wild foods available, i.e. steamed vegetables & mushrooms
Nuts & fruit for pudding
Supper; tea & muesli bar

No cooking except to boil water :) Everything *home* grown too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Firewyre

Jul 11, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Very new here, and only camped out once (so far) so here goes.

Meal 1 - Rice and Tuna.
Can of tuna.
Uncle Bens boil in the bag rice x1
Small tub of mayonaise.

Meal 2 - Fahitas.
2/3 tortillas.
Sachet of spice and salsa that comes with it.
Thinly sliced quorn burger and some sliced peppers in a sealable bag.

I've found (in my limited experience) that the little bottles you can buy for toiletries in Muji (Birmingham high street, Japanese 'stuff' shop) are excellent for putting things like cooking oil in to squirt into the pan. Also, if you buy the little boxes of sushi from Tesco they come with a little plastic fish-bottle for soy - reusable and just small enough for one meal's worth of soy (or vinegar, or other thin condiment).

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
For herbs and spices I normally use the 7 day pill dispensers with a piece of duck tape over it to avoid accidental opening.

I recently tried, for the Dartmoor meet, the screw together containers from Boots, used for holiday cosmetics.

The look good in clean hard plastic (almost unbreakable) however I found that you can overtighten them to the point you need two pairs of pliers to get them undone and granular items such as salt, garlic salt etc can get caught in the threads making them almost impossible to undo even with pliers.

I won't be using them again. Back to the pill dispensers. It's also worth inversting in a set of travel bottles from Nalgene
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=19
for less than a tenner you get bottles that are ideal for olive oil, (my preference) cider vinegar, washing up liquid (the pack includes to lids with fold down spouts), and small canisters for whatever.

Great stuff. You can never have enough seasoning. It gives you variety even if the basics are pretty much the same each day.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Firewyre said:
Also, if you buy the little boxes of sushi from Tesco they come with a little plastic fish-bottle for soy - reusable and just small enough for one meal's worth of soy (or vinegar, or other thin condiment).

M&S ones are the best from the high street stores are they are of a bit more generous size. It doesn't have to be just thin runny sauces dressings that go in a sushi soy bottle.. just use a syringe (body only, no needle!) to inject it into the bottle - you can get much thicker condiments in, my favourites are tomato sauce, mayonaise, honey, mustard, jam and lighter gel (not in the same bottle!). Obviously make sure you label these properly and dont try putting lighting gel on your chips. When it comes to using the condiment, just give the bottle a good squeeze and it comes out no problems with a lovely gloopy sound :)

Yes I eat too much sushi and yes I have too much time on my hands to think of how to fill the little bottles...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i found a "poundland" type shop selling re-useable plastic bottles similar to nalgene ones. 7 tubs for £1. bargain i bought 2 packs.

ideal for spices, oils, and other stuff.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Dried TVP mince is a good one, add water some suitable fungus and some dried chilli and you have the makings of a good meal.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Maybe somebody from Sheffield/Rotherham can shed a bit of light on Savoury Duck? I had it at my parents and thought it was ideal for bushcraft as it expands so much. I had it with mashed spuds, but I imagine you couls use other stuff.

Spamel

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
spamel said:
Maybe somebody from Sheffield/Rotherham can shed a bit of light on Savoury Duck? I had it at my parents and thought it was ideal for bushcraft as it expands so much. I had it with mashed spuds, but I imagine you couls use other stuff.

Spamel

It's a kind of skinless haggis arrangement, but pork, not mutton.

Rather like faggots, but with oatmeal in - about 1/2 way between a sausage and a white pudding, with added liver.

Been a while, mind you, as my Nan died in 1991.

Jim.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There's liver in it?!! I asked my dad what was in it and he said he didn't have a clue, so we asked in Rotherham where he gets it from, and the lass behind the counter didn't know either!

Do you think it would be suitable for bushcraft? I'm not too sure how well it keeps.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I can't believe nobody's mentioned porridge :confused: . Can you get a better portable breakfast? You can stick almost anything in porridge if you want to have variation: berries, dried fruit, jam, honey, sugar, salt, chocolate, you name it!

My favourite is wild sorrel leaves (a trick from the Tenements in Glasgow, rather than the wild woods!). They wilt a little bit and add a really nice sharp apple taste to it.

Oh, and if Restaurant magazine's #1 Restaurant in the world is to be belived, Snail porridge goes down a treat!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If you want a decent breakfast, vacuum packed bacon last a lot longer than artificial atmosphere packs, you can also freeze it and use it as a cool block.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
spamel said:
There's liver in it?!! I asked my dad what was in it and he said he didn't have a clue, so we asked in Rotherham where he gets it from, and the lass behind the counter didn't know either!

http://bbc.net.uk/dna/ww2/A3004787
(para. 2 reveals all)

There are INCREDIBLY few web.references to it. I think it was a wartime expedient for "stretching" small quantities of tasty food with stodge, and purely Northern, to boot...

...and YES there is liver in it ( :eek: or :D , depending)

spamel said:
Do you think it would be suitable for bushcraft? I'm not too sure how well it keeps.

If it's part offal, it'd get pretty rank after a day or 2 in summer...

I'd consider carrying a little salt-pork, onion[1] and oatmeal and making a sort of white pudding. If an unlucky rabbit or pigeon came your way, it's liver and lights into the mix would make the real thing, I guess.

I'll ask my ma to dig out Minnies old wartime cookbook. This could be the start of an extremely bland experience...

Jim.

Jim.

[1] Or use ramsons/ hedge garlic in season...

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Salami (Protein & Fat)
Waxed Cheese (Protein & Fat)
Pitta Bread (Carbs)
Curry Powder (Flavour)
Jerky (Protein)
Milk Powder (All good stuff in here)
Cupasoups (Quick fix)
Salt (Flavour)
Pepper (Flavour)
Oats (Carb)
Dark Chocolate (Sugar)
Apples (Healthy stuff)
Small bottle of Soda Stream Fruit Juice Concentrate & Small Bottle of Everclear (95% Alcohol) - (Entertainment)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE