What dog food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
Hey guys, I'm taking my dog on a week long hike in June. Never had him out longer then 2 days so I'm in need a little help choosing a light weight dog food to give him. I'm planning on using my 14lt lumbar pack and the dog will be using the small doxlock pack.

Space is a major factor as I have to carry 6 days food for me and the dog as well as the rest of my kit.

What food do you take for your dog when out for a few days?

Cheers,

CS

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some form of dry high energy kibble would be best, like the stuff for working dogs, as he'll need the energy. Is he a fussy eater? I'd try him with stuff first. I used to use Burns http://burnspet.co.uk/ as you can get different energy levels and it's good quality food. Dog used to suppliment with the odd bunny/squirel.

You're going to get all your kit and food in a 14 lt pack?

Cheers,
GB

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
http://www.k9natural.com/

These people make freeze dried food, designed for dogs who go out trecking with their owners. They are light weight and just need a little warm water to activate. Most of their food contains green lipped mussel which is great for joints. Hope this helps :)

Fionn.

yikes bit on the pricey side that!

I feed my pooch dry WAGG working dog dog food and occassional some gravy on the dried food.... never taken him on trips longer than a few days so I've tended to carry his food, but sorely tempted to get those doggy rucksacks.

yikes bit on the pricey side that!

I feed my pooch dry WAGG working dog dog food and occassional some gravy on the dried food.... never taken him on trips longer than a few days so I've tended to carry his food, but sorely tempted to get those doggy rucksacks.

Yeah, they are a bit pricey :s Im sure ive seen them cheaper on other websites tho, this is just the company website :) Other companies do other forms of freeze dried food for dogs too, probably cheaper, this was the only one I could remember :)

Fionn

May 16, 2011
Perth
I have had a look at the freeze dry food but it does cost a bomb but i might have a look for a cheaper option.

I feed him wagg working dog but 6 days food is about 4-kg and takes up alot of room

Well that's the plan, will have my bivvy wool blanket and tarp rolled up and tied to the bottom.

With a bit of luck I can supplement some fish if I can catch any.

CS

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Oats are not a bad food for dogs, not a complete food probably but enough to keep him going for a couple of days. Specially if you can add in a few scraps , meat fish or egg. I would go for rolled oats and pour hot water on them then let it cool before feeding.

http://canigivemydog.com/oatmeal

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
6 days dog food is always going to weigh a bit.
If you go higher protein then maybe carry slightly less. Personally I don't mess with changing foods. CSJ K9 is a food designed for working dogs. Not expensive but not easy to get hold of. My dogs do a couple of days a season & never lose condition.
I think whatever you take will be weighty.

May 16, 2011
Perth
I'll have keep a look out for that. If I can't find anything lighter I think I'm just gonna crush his food down a bit to save some space might be able to get it in his pack that way.

Do you think adding instant mash in to bulk it up would be alright?

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Some form of dry high energy kibble would be best, like the stuff for working dogs, as he'll need the energy. Is he a fussy eater? I'd try him with stuff first. I used to use Burns http://burnspet.co.uk/ as you can get different energy levels and it's good quality food. Dog used to suppliment with the odd bunny/squirel.

Cheers,
GB

Burns food is good mine loves hers. Thankfully fly is a small dog (with a big appetite) and only needs about 60ish grams a day

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IMHO If you're going to change the dogs food start a week or so before your trip and introduce it slowly. Mixing a bit in with the normal food and increase the amount over the days untill you have a total transition.

Dog panniers could be a good way to go.

May 16, 2011
Perth
IMHO If you're going to change the dogs food start a week or so before your trip and introduce it slowly. Mixing a bit in with the normal food and increase the amount over the days untill you have a total transition.

Dog panniers could be a good way to go.

Yeah if I will be changing his food it would be done the two weeks prior to the tekk

I will be using the doxlock panniers but they look quite small but I suppose I won't know until I order them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE