What does grade C mean?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best advice would be to phone them and ask. They're helpful and will explain exactly why they've graded it at a C.

It could be something as simple as the selvedges aren't in the same condition as the rest of the fabric, or that there's a repeated flaw somewhere in the run of the stuff. That link says that there's a larger than usual flaw in the weave. Probably with ripstop there's a line or so missing of the crossing ripstop threads.

Every company grades to their own criteria and that company are very fair and honest about what they sell.

They will send you a sample too if you ask, but at 59p a metre, I'd just buy a couple of metres anyway; it'll come in useful for something :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I used some of it to make a really lightweight windbreak. It just gently baffles the wind and like an still bit in a river creates a little pocket of calm.
It also made really lightweight but strong bags to stuff odds and ends into, like short lengths of paracord, and I know someone who made a kind of mini hammock from it to sling under his tarp, but above his own hammock, as a place to keep things at hand but tidied out of the way, from it too.

As a general guideline Jacob,
Grade A is perfect.
Grade B is cosmetically not perfect....slightly faded or discoloured maybe. Sometimes just loom state, i.e. oily/dirty/dusty
Grade C is something wrong with the construction of the fabric. Missing or snapped warps, persistant flaw, etc.,
Grade D is something damaged about the fabric, like a tear or cut.

It's subjective though, Grade B for instance can also mean that the waterproofing isn't complete, but that can also be a Grade C. Every company rates slightly differently.

Only way to be sure is to contact them or get ahold of a sample.

cheers,
Toddy

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I made a few double skinned hammocks from similar but wider stuff, also good for stuff sacks as Mary mentioned, wind breaks is a good idea as well.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I made a few double skinned hammocks from similar but wider stuff, also good for stuff sacks as Mary mentioned, wind breaks is a good idea as well.
I love the material. But I cant find it bigger than 1m wide. Have you got a link or any ideas where to look.
Thanks
Jacob

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I love the material. But I cant find it bigger than 1m wide. Have you got a link or any ideas where to look.
Thanks
Jacob

Phone them mate, they often have wider stuff that that isn't worth the time editing the website to add it. Pertex 4 comes in standard 1.6m widths-its a bit pricier but makes a great hammock fabric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE