What does a decent first aid kit really need ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
As I wrote. It is the standard medical advice to keep blisters where possible. Sometimes, however, it isn't possible. In my experience, decompressing them can work well. There is constant debate on this in burns, where more of my experience lies, but it seems to be equally contentious with friction blisters.

There is some work to support my suggestion, which also has some other interesting points about blister prevention:
The abstract can be read here

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
What I would love is for someone to write a sort of idiots guide for dealing with cuts.
I've got a few students who are medical professionals (A surgeon, a paramedic and a GP) who have offered to give me some advice but there's always a language barrier there.
If anyone could give a simple, point by point, technique for dealing with cuts I would be eternally grateful.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
What I would love is for someone to write a sort of idiots guide for dealing with cuts.
I've got a few students who are medical professionals (A surgeon, a paramedic and a GP) who have offered to give me some advice but there's always a language barrier there.
If anyone could give a simple, point by point, technique for dealing with cuts I would be eternally grateful.

I'd be happy to do this. What did you have in mind?

Alex

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My first aid kit has a small mirror.....torch and my first aid kit.

Lots of good advice here, Graham's point about the mirror and torch is a good one, I have a WW2 steel heliograph in my belt pouch which although it has never been used for signaling it once made it much easier to remove a insect that had clambered inside the orbit of my eye :eek:

A small mirror is also useful for inspecting your appearance before heading back to civilization :)

H

He' s left the building

Boops
If you cut your femoral artery in a careless moment as you describe, whilst in a remote area and by yourself or with someone with little or no first aid knowledge or skills the action needed is very simple. Stand up and put your head between your knees and kiss your **** goodbye. Even with a signal for your mobile phone to call the emergency services you just ain't gonna survive it, far too severe a wound. You would be lucky to survive under normal circumstances with that type of wound at home even with the emergency services getting to you within 15 minutes.

That's quite a fatalist attitude! Which thankfully I do not share!

I have a very good friend who ruptured his aorta due to trauma sustained in an 'impact event' (ie he fell from a very great height) but he survived (he lost his left leg and sustained multiple fractures but he survived).

As an EMT, I have dealt with bleeding femoral arteries on several occasions, nearly all survived.

A possible injury to a bushcrafter is damage to the radial artery (in the wrist) or other major blood vessels in the fingers/arms. Less life-threatening than a blown aorta or femoral, but life-threatening nonetheless.

The point I'm trying to make is that by purchasing, practising with, then carrying, a cheap, lightweight, easily available military-type dressing (or as Alex suggests a No4 dressing and separate crepe bandage) a person may be able to save someone (themselves or someone else) from bleeding to death.

My suggestion is in direct response to this thread which the OP specifically relates to a severe laceration caused by an edged tool.

Almost everyone reading this is into using edged tools, usually in remote settings. Without 'getting into the weeds' of casualty treatment protocols I still insist that it is a good idea to carry a compression/pressure (ie military-type) dressing.

Band-aids were developed for miltary use and are now commonplace, I think the medical items currently being used in combat-zones will be commonplace in the future.

:)

H

He' s left the building

I have however bought some Quick Clot ( would put in a link but I do not know how- you can find it via any search engine) from Cabelas in the US as I could not find a UK supplier.

If you get this stuff in your eye or inhale it then you will be sorry, if you survive inhaling it anyways :)

It is also available in the form of a dressing (containing the clotting agent within the fabric, ensuring you won't inhale it), but this sort of stuff is best left to those who've had the appropriate training. It also has a use-by date.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'd be happy to do this. What did you have in mind?

Alex

Something along the lines of what to clean what with (hands, wound, skin around it) or not.
Then about covering/dressing it.
Basically I'd be interested in making a good job of patching up little cuts and keeping big ones clean and tidy for someone else to fix :)

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
it's so weird all this talk of life threatening injuries on a bushcraft forum, I hadn't realised these injuries were so common, I thought with the correct training and respect which EVERYONE who wields a knife or axe should know these injuries were extremely rare??!

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Something along the lines of what to clean what with (hands, wound, skin around it) or not.
Then about covering/dressing it.
Basically I'd be interested in making a good job of patching up little cuts and keeping big ones clean and tidy for someone else to fix :)

OK. If I was to put together a few easy to understand PDFs or something, is there anything anyone else would like to see in them?

Alex

it's so weird all this talk of life threatening injuries on a bushcraft forum, I hadn't realised these injuries were so common, I thought with the correct training and respect which EVERYONE who wields a knife or axe should know these injuries were extremely rare??!

Yeah. Low Risk, but High Impact. Bit like car accidents. Seat belts and air bags in cars hardly ever gets activated, but if you have an accident, you sure as hell want them!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I use a technique which was taught me by my Dad that I've never seen in any of my subsequent training! Clean the skin with alcohol and enter to one side of the blister and come up under it. You can decompress it without rupturing the nice cover. Then apply a dressing that presses on it a little. Sometimes they stay down and heal very quickly, occasionally they reaccumulate. I've never had an infection.

Caveat. While most of my advice comes from proper training and experience, this last bit is, I confess, purely anecdotal.

Hiya Shep,

Not anecdotal for me. I haven't had to do it for a while, but I've taken care of a few blisters doing just that. Carefully draining the blister from the side and not ripping the skin often allowed the area to dry out and the skin reattach (sorry, not an experienced first aid bod so I don't know all the right terms! :) ). Only thing to watch for was during the initial healing the skin was still quite mobile and could rip away with light rubbing. So a simple dressing was needed to protect the area from direct pressure and movement.

Hope this helps (and I still need to book a refresher! Damn, another thing to remember to do!).

Nigel.

EDIT:

Just seen the posts following Shep's. Just to clarify my post I accept it's better to leave blisters alone and would only pierce if it hindered movement or was likely to rupture on it's own. Also I've only ever done this with friction blisters. Always left burns well alone.

Only thing to watch for was during the initial healing the skin was still quite mobile and could rip away with light rubbing. So a simple dressing was needed to protect the area from direct pressure and movement.

From long distance (100k) walking experience I have found that no matter how carefully you drain or otherwise loosen then top layer and no matter how you dress it, it will come off. My advice is to leave the blister intact and apply Compede with micropore support.

However, prevention is better than cure and my two top tips are to wear loop pile socks and to check "warm spots" when you feel them coming and slap a Compede on before they become blisters.

Don't buy cheap blister plasters, they are rubbish.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've seen a recommendation of wearing women's nylon "pop" socks to reduce friction and prevent blisters. Any takers?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE